cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

I'm trying to understand the difference in Call, Transactions, and passing Transactions, and purepaths

dave_deleo
Inactive

Hi,

In looking at the transaction flow I am trying to understand the quantity of traffic that is coming into my various hosts. If I hover over the lines between each host I notice information for Calls, Transactions, Passing Transactions. Can someone tell me the difference between these items and how do the relate to purepaths (i.e. is a purepath a transaction, a passing transaction, or both)? Thank you for helping me understand this.

Thanks,

David

3 REPLIES 3

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

I believe calls will just be incoming connections and requests to that agent so this could be if your web tier calls your application tier 25 times the app tier will show 25 incoming calls (which could be part of multiple or individual PurePaths - i.e one PurePath including multiple calls to the tier). Regarding transactions/PurePaths, in my mind a transaction should be synonymous with a PurePath with the PurePath being the pieced together flow of all of the actions that occurred as a part of that one transaction. The "passing transactions" term can be a bit confusing but this should be interpreted as the transactions passing through that tier, as opposed to reading "passing" as "successful." so if you select "focus on passing transactions" on a given agent or agent group a filter will be applied to the transaction flow so that only PurePaths that pass through that agent or agent group at some point in time will be included.

James

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello David,

As @James K. already explained very well but I would recommend you to spare few minutes to go through with the below link for all your questions to answers.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/application-monitoring/appmon-client/dashlets/transacti...

Regards,

Babar

dave_deleo
Inactive

Thanks so much James for this great answer! Thanks for the follow up Babar! Appreciate it!

David