cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

IMS call to Mainframe missing

ryan_shaw
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi all,

We are missing the IMS calls going to the mainframe in our Dynatrace environment. We can see the CICS endpoints but nothing in regards to IMS. We don't have the mainframe implemented and the IMS sensor packs (IMS Connect, CICS/IMS Gateways, IMS TM Resource Adapter) are on all agent groups. Is there any custom configuration I need to do in order to see the IMS calls?

2 REPLIES 2

Christian_Schr1
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Ryan,

not sure, if I understand correctly... The CICS and IMS agents are NOT deployed, and you see CICS endpoints, but nothing related to IMS? Are you referring to the PurePath tree or the Transaction Flow diagram?

If you do not have the Mainframe agents in place, you will not get a CICS/IMS tier on the Transaction Flow unless you define an External API service ... Maybe you have one defined for the CICS endpoints, but not for IMS? https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

I think it would be best, if you send me an example PurePath (one for CICS, one for IMS) to figure out, what is going on. Just send it to christian.schram@dynatrace.com

Cheers, Christian

After discussing the issue in further detail I discovered that IMS calls were made via JCA from WebSphere where as CICS was made via HTTP calls. So as @Christian S. had suggested I needed to define a sensor on the method in the application that passed the call and configure it with "This method rule denotes an External API Service call". I was then able to see what I'd defined as an IMS call in the transaction flow.