cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Instrumenting Apache WebServer

parveen_shaik
Inactive

Hello Team,

I need a quick clarification regarding instrumenting Apache WebServer. Could anyone please tell me if installing only dynatrace webserver agent is enough to instrument the webserver (UNIX machine) or do we have to install the dynatrace unix agent as well??

6 REPLIES 6

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi

In order to install an Agent on Apache you need to do 2 things

#1: You need to install and configure the DYnatrace Web Server Agent - dtwsagent - and run it. This is what we call the "master web server agent". it is configured thorugh the dtwsagent.ini file and will connect to your Dynatrace Collector

#2: You need to load the dtagent.so in your Apache via a LoadModule directive in your httpd.conf file. This module will then collect the data in Apache and sends it to the Dynatrace WEb SErver Agent that runs on the same machine.

Here is the doc: Dynatrace Apache Agent Configuration. I also have a video that explains how Web Server Agents in the context of UEM work: Advanced UEM

Andi

Thank You Andreas.

rmg
Organizer

Is additional license fee required to instrument Appache WebServer? I currently have test edition licenses for AppMon.

Thanks,

-Ronald

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Ronald,

In any case we need the licenses for each technology. You just verify that whether you have web server agents or not in your 'Test Center Edition' license.

If you already have the web server agent licenses and one of them is available then you can use that one to instrument Apache Web Server and it doesn't matter about 'Production' or Test Center Edition'.

Regards,

Babar

How to go instrumentation of a clustered Web Server host i.e. a Single Host with multiple Apache Web Server instances?

Hello Rajesh,

Check the following documentation link for the 'Multiple Instrumented Web Server Instances on One Machine':

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT65/Web+Server+Agent+Configuration#WebServerAgentConfiguration-MultipleInstrumentedWebServerInstancesonOneMachine

Regards,

Babar