cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Integrating the TIBCO Monitoring Plugin dashboards

andy_shang
Participant

Hi,

I am following the steps here (https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DL/Tibco+BW+Monitoring+Plugin)

and trying to get the two custom dashboards to show data for my TIBCO processes. However, after installing the plugin and opening the dashboards, all I see is

under Tibco.Environment.-.Overview dashboard, and for Tibco.Project.-.Overview, I see:

What does it mean by Please adapt chart source settings? I would like these dashboards to resemble the screenshots in the article linked above, but I can't seem to do that.

I have tried e-mailing the author of the article, but he has not responded for a week, so I'm turning to the community.

Thanks,

Andy

6 REPLIES 6

steve_kalm
Inactive

Andy,

Every dashboard and dashlet have a source setting. This is used to hook the dashboard to the Dynatrace server and system profile of the data to be displayed. The dashboards were created on another user's Dynatrace server, so the datasource of the dashboards and/or dashlets will still be pointed at the original designers system. All you need to do is to edit the properties of the dashboard, the select the Source tab, then select your Dynatrace server instance from the dropdown list in the Server: box, then select the system profile where you have configured the Tibco Monitor to run from the Session: box. That should populate all the dashlets that do not have the "Enable Dashlet specific Data Source" checkbox selected. Save the dashboard with the new settings and it will work every time you open it from that point forward.

If the dashlets have the "Enable Dashlet specific Data Source" option selected, then you will need to edit the Properties of each dashlet, and set them to point to your Dynatrace Server instance, and the System Profile where you have the Tibco monitor running from. In this sircumstance, you could also uncheck the "Enable Dashlet specific Data Source" option on each dashlet, and then they will inherit the Dashboard source settings.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Steve

andy_shang
Participant

Hi @Steve K

Thanks for your quick response. I have changed the source/system profile, and now I see this:

I see some data, but as you can see the message is still there, covering the graph. Also, the graphs look... all the same! I'm sure that they should not look so similar: what configuration do I need to do to get the right data to appear on each dashlet?

As for the Environment Overview, the article has a bunch of green checkmarks (which I assume each one represents a TIBCO process being monitored), but as I posted in my original question, It's just a cut-off graph button. How exactly do I link specific processes to the Environment Overview dashboard?

Thanks so much for your help,

Andy

steve_kalm
Inactive

Try going into the dashlet settings, and select the Series tab. Then try re-adding the measure to the dashlet. If your monitor is working properly, then the new measure should be available for you to select, and the red "x" will be gone from the measure you just added. If the red "x' is on the new measure you add, then the plugin is not collecting the data properly. If this works for you, you might end up re-adding the measure(s) on each dashlet. Good luck.

andy_shang
Participant

From my understanding, the Tibco.Environment dashboard displays the TIBCO server, and from there, you can drill down into any of the monitored processes. The data for a drilled-down process will then appear in a Tibco.Project Dashboard.

Quote from the article "The Tibco BW Project Overview dashboard (below) provides detailed metrics of a single project. This dashboard is accessed by drilling down from the Tibco BW Environment Overview dashboard..."

Do you perhaps know how I can add multiple projects to the Tibco Environment Overview dashboard and be able to access each process's details? Currently, each dashlet takes its data from a single source and a single System Profile.. does this mean I have to create a System profile for each TIBCO process in order to get corresponding data for only that process? I hope what I'm asking makes sense

steve_kalm
Inactive

The functionality you are asking for is already there I believe. This is stated in the USAGE section of the instructions. The Environment Overview dashboard monitors up to 20 projects. The BW Project Overview Dashboard is a template that you use to make up to 20 dashboards, one for each traffic light. Just change the <Project Name> in the title. You then adjust the Dashboard Link in the settings of the Traffic Light on the Environment Overview to point to the appropriate Project Overview Dashboard you made.

If you have Edited the bwengine.tra file for each project you are wanting to monitor with the entries specified in the Setup instructions, then the plugin should be collecting data from each project. Then just adjust each dashboard with the metrics from the proper project.

Ahh I see! Thanks.

One thing I noticed when I'm selecting a "Measure" for each graph is that when I click the TIBCO BW Monitor group (see picture), none of the selectable measures have any data. For example when I add any of the series under TIBCO BW Monitor, the chart says "No data available for the selected time period" (my time period is set to 1 year, so there definitely should be activity). Does this mean that I didn't configure my JMX settings properly, and the plugin isn't capturing the data?