cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to connect 2 system profiles?

jyts_olt
Guide

Would it be possible to have 2 different system profiles connected to each other? I.e. 1 system profile contains the internet part (web servers, web portals and such) and the other system profile contains the intern BE applications.

7 REPLIES 7

Mike_L
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Jyts,

System profiles should be seen as separate entities and there are no links in-between them. If an agent group is shared over several system profiles then the shared agent group and all that it is communicating with should all be in a single system profile. If there is communication taking place between the two environments it needs to be one system profile except if you want to follow the transaction from one to the other.

What is the reason why you would want to split up the agents into several system profiles?

If it is due to making the transaction flow simpler then you should look at the transaction flow in the web UI as you can group agent groups there.

If it is due to privileges you might want to vote for this RFE:

https://answers.dynatrace.com/idea/166932/rfe-priv...

Mike

jyts_olt
Guide

Thank you Mike. It's for a client that has 1 system profile which contain 2 environments; 1 is the internet website environment and the other is the backends environment that is handling the requests from the web site (users). Each environment is managed by it's own team. Client has indicated that they'd like to have a seperate system profile for each environment but without losing the coherence between the 2 environments. I'll have a look at the link you shared. Cheers.

If it is two separate environments without any communication between the two you can safely split them up into different system profiles.

jyts_olt
Guide

Yes but the coherence will be lost right? A PurePath in one system profile will not be easily traced/found in the other system profile, or will it?

A pure path in one system profile will not be found at all in the other system profile. If there is no communication between the two then that isn't a problem. But if there is communication taking place between the two environments it needs to be one system profile.

'But if there is communication taking place between the two environments it needs to be one system profile.'That's the answer to my question Michael. Thank you!

No worries, I added that clarification to my first post. Have a great day!