cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to disable bootstrapping for the NodeJS agent in 6.5?

romain_bigeard
Newcomer

Is it possible to disable the autom upgrading of the NodeJS agent when the application starts? Specifically the customer I am helping would like prevent the downloading of the newer version of the agent.

7 REPLIES 7

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Romain,

Upgrading and keeping the Agents up to date is recommended and required to receive updates.

Bootstrapped Agents update automatically when the instrumented application is restarted. It means the agent will not be upgraded till we don't restart the application but non-bootstrapped Agents are need to be upgraded manually.

Although connections between older Agents and newer Collectors are supported, Agents should be upgraded to the Collector version as soon as possible.

Check the following agent compatibility matrix link:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Regards,

Babar

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

To add to what Babar said...

I would be interested in knowing WHY the customer wants to prevent the updates. Makes me think there's a misunderstanding of our architecture.

But to directly answer the question: Yes. Edit the DTServer settings -> Updates -> Uncheck the box "Automatically update agents to latest version".

I would assume its because it slows down the starting up on nodejs when they set them to recover or start. It can add a time.

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Mark,

As @Joseph M. H. said, since Dynatrace 6.3 it is possible to disable these automatic Agent updates. If you disable automatic Agent updates, the bootstrapped Agents will no longer use the Agent version provided by the Collector. Instead they will stay on their current version.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT63/Automatic+Agent+Updates

Regards,

Babar

andrew_patterso
Advisor

Thank you Babar and Joseph for your replies.

This customer is wanting to disable the updates because their Node.js lives in Docker containers and it has been reported that bootstrap process has caused startup times to increase from a few seconds to a over a minute.

I'm wondering whether there might be more to the issue than it seems at first glance. I was surprised to hear that bootstrapping was adding so much time, but it does seem to be the case. Any thoughts on why, especially with Docker in the mix?

Also note that the environment is 6.5 and Node.js is implemented using the new method of instrumentation (not using the web server agent).

Regards,
Andrew

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Andrew, That additional startup time sounds suspicious. The next steps would be to inspect the agent logs and see if there's anything looking unexpected. But at this point, I might suggest you open a support case, and let the Support team dig into the logs and possible causes.

romain_bigeard
Newcomer

What I saw when the application started (Hi @Andrew P. ;-)) is the bootstrapping process seemed to happen many times over at startup time. Unfortunately, I am not on site to double check.