cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to filter PurePaths by the ClientIP field?

melissa_hubbard
Organizer

I recently discovered the PurePaths for webrequests have the ClientIP field as an optional field to view. This is SUPER great since we don't have UEM enabled for every application we have in AppMon. I can't find a way to filter the PurePaths by this field. Is it possible? It would really help me troubleshoot.

5 REPLIES 5

arihant_polavar
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello Melissa,

I think you have a few options.

First and foremost, if you enable the ClientIP column in the PurePaths and just start typing specific IP addresses , it should automatically filter the PurePaths based on what you type. However, this isn't really a dashboard specific filter.

Another option you have is using a Business Transaction. You could create a Business Transaction which splits by Client IP to see all the PurePaths related to specific IPs. However, please be sure to uncheck the 'Store results in Performance Warehouse' option when creating the BT. If you leave that on, you are likely to generate a lot of splittings which can cause issues on the AppMon server. Unchecking that field is recommended when creating BTs for troubleshooting purposes.

Hope this helps,

Ari

Cody_Kachelski
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Melissa,

I do not believe there is a specific dashboard filter, but there is a BT measure for Client IP that can be created and used in a Business Transaction, what is the scope of what you're looking to accomplish? Purepaths coming from specific IPs? If you provide the details I'd be glad to assist in crafting a Business Transaction that would accomplish this.

Thanks,

-Cody

melissa_hubbard
Organizer

We have been troubleshooting phantom problem where users report "slowness." But we can't find the problem. This is an internal application. We are unable to turn UEM on (long story). So, as users report slowness, I'm given an IP and I hop out into Dynatrace to see what I can find. I've been using method 1 described above - showing all PurePaths and typing in the IP to do a search of the results. But we have so many PurePaths coming in, it takes forever to load them all. I want to at least go back 30 min prior to the reported event, but even 15 min takes a long time. I was hoping there might be a way to filter and speed up the results. I'm hesitant to do a business transaction because I'm afraid it will be way too many splittings. Am I being concerned over nothing? It's not a specific IP address so I can't really filter my BT.

I think the Business Transaction would be fine as long as you uncheck that field I talked about. Is there a particular set of IPs this issue happens for? You could split/filter on certain IPs if that is the case.

You could also use the measures in the BT to further filter the data, depending on what the criteria is. For example, you could limit to that specific application, or only show purepaths over a certain response time threshold, or as Ari said, a specific subset o range of IPs.