cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to mask or mark as confidential only specific strings?

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I know there is the option to mark all data passed into methods or returned by methods as confidential and thus allow it to be viewed only be people with permission.

But can we choose specific arguments or returns as confidential?
I.e. even though a user doesn't have permission to view confidential data, I still want them to see most of the arguments passed into methods, but not want them to see arguments such as 'password', 'credit card number', etc. So every other argument or return would be non-confidential, but the passwords and card numbers etc would be confidential. Is this scenario possible?

Thanks

Radu

4 REPLIES 4

pahofmann
Leader

Unfortunately that is not possible. You can't differentiate what should be confidential an what not on a parameter/method/... basis.

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Really for any data like what you cite as examples I would never put a sensor that captures data like that to begin with. You wouldn't want to have information like that stored unnecesarily regardless of how it's displayed in the client.

OK, that was a bad example with the passwords or credit cards 🙂 but it was the first to come to mind. Bottom line is - we can't pick what's confidential and what's not (any lower level than 'all method args' or 'all method returns').

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

lol okay yeah I figured.