cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Is there a way to add dynatrace agent for Tableau ?

7 REPLIES 7

r_weber
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Can you be a bit more specific please?

Our agents are generic for Java/.Net/PHP, you can also use our ADK to add dynatrace support to C/C++ apps plus instrumentation for Mobile applications through our moble ADK agent.

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

dominik_stadler
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi,

if you mean the Tableau Server product, there is some hints:

1. Web Server

As Tableau includes a standard Apache server, it would be possible to inject the WebServer Agent at
    C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\8.3\apache\conf, however there is no httpd.conf, seems this is created during runtime or done differently, so not easily possible to inject there.

2. Server processes

There are a number of server-side processes which run Java internally, however they are invoked via some .exe process-starters using an internally packaged JRE (at C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\8.3\repository\jre\bin), so it is not easy to inject the agent into these processes as there does not seem to be a way to adjust the commandline used when starting Java. It might be possible to use the environment variable JAVA_OPTS to do this, but I could not verify this yet.

3. Tomcat

There is a Tomcat installation at C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\8.3\tomcat\, however it seems it is also started with some .exe starter.

Dominik.

Hi Dominik,

Yes, discussing about tableau product.

We have used dotnet agent for the tableau. The agent seems to be connected after performing agent mapping steps with tabsvc services.

Not yet sure to collect purepaths etc.

But as per your comment you seem to be using java web agent - are you able to connect it ?

Little doubtful - Java web or dotnet 

Regards,

Pratibha Periwal

dominik_stadler
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hih,

Tableau Server seems to be a combination of multiple technologies, mostly open-source based, e.g. Apache, Tomcat, some Java but also some pieces .NET.

Unfortunately I did not succeed yet with injecting Java Agent or WebServer Agent as these parts are encapsulated into the product and do not expose the necessary configuration files to set agentpath...

I'll keep you posted here if I manage to inject things.

Dominik.

courtney_sparks
Dynatrace Contributor
Dynatrace Contributor

Hi Dominik - did you have any luck getting agents injected into the various server components?

dominik_stadler
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi,

unfortunately not, I did not find startup/configure scripts that allowed me to inject the Java agent here.

For the Apache Web Server there are httpd.conf files which should allow to inject the JavaScript agent, but I mainly wanted to monitor the server processes here but could not.

Dominik.

andre_vdveen
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

I know this is an old thread, but thought it could help someone out there if I posted my experiences.

I've managed to download and install a trial version of Tableau Server 10.2 on a Windows host and instrument the Apache web server component, but in my setup, I don't have any active Java processes running. That's most likely since I don't have the 1st idea on how to set it up (correctly) 😉

Either way, the httpd.conf I edited was located in <Tableau_HOME>\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\config

After restarting the Tableau service, the agent came up as I hoped, including UEM data.

Cheers, Andre