cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to calculate the passing time between two user actions ?

mevlut_soner
Contributor

Hi all ,

I am wondering that if i calculate the passing time between two user actions or not. For example, there are two actions below and the result should be 1min 20s.

Action 1 : click on "Start Action" : 10:00:00
Action 2: click on "End Action" : 10:01:20

I also want to give an example scenario of this situation. Think that, you want to buy something from an e-shopping web site and you go www.something.com and then countinue as below.

1- Firstly, you click "Product" you want to buy: 10:00:00

2- You click "Add to basket" : 10:00:20

3- Then you set your payment choice and type your credit card information then click "Next" : 10:01:30

4- Lastly you click "Okey" then your order is accepted and your visit finish : 10:02:00

According to above scenario, your buying time is 2 minute. I could capture these begin and end user actions with request header paramater but i could not calculate the passing time between two actions.

Regards.

4 REPLIES 4

You cannot make it directly in Dynatrace (at least so far, I’ve read somewhere that there are plans for some extra tools related to those data but I can’t find topic). You can export user sessions to ElasticSearch via built in integration and than you will be able to make such calculations.

Sebastian

Thank you for your response Sebastian. I want to ask you one more question regarding this topic. Can i export all user action with request parameters that i capture to ElasticSearch or other external tool ? In this way, i will split user actions by request header, and i understand which user action is the first and which is the last action then i will calculate the passing time between these two actions.

Note: Every user action includes 3 uniqe request header values, we understand which is the first and which is the last action according to these values. So if we won't export request parameters, this scenario can't work for us.

User actions are not correlated with request headers. I've missed last time that you've asked question in appmon not dynatrace forum. In such case you can export user visits as well to ElasticSearch but you will not have header information. Purepaths (which has this information) cannot be passed.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/shortlink/id_purelytics_stream#the-json-document-format -> here you have sample JSON's that can give you some insights about what you will see in Elasticsearch.

EDIT:

https://assets.dynatrace.com/global/doc/appmon/integrations-and-extensions/realtime-streaming/purely...

When you look here, in user action you should be able to see correlated business transaction, so you can try making user action business transaction that will split by request header, but I'm not sure if this work.

Sebastian

JGannon
Guide

I wanted to do the same thing. For example, we'd like to measure the time from when the user clicks a button on the page for XHR action, to the time when they complete it (example, going through a stepped process.

After some research I think the solution is to use W3C user timing marks/measures. In the user timing spec it is possible to measure time duration between 2 events.

I believe the timing marks would display in Dynatrace - they did in the previous version. That way you could create a dashboard tile with that marker - maybe called Step 1 duration, Search Duration, etc. Please note the calculations would be preformed by the browser, not in Dynatrace directly. JavaScript code is written to be able to set these calculations. Dynatrace would output the timing marks/measures.

Please note this is theoretical but I believe possible. More info on W3C timing spec 3 is here: https://www.w3.org/TR/user-timing-3/

An article on different ideas for user timing is here:
https://speedcurve.com/blog/user-timing-level-3-set-a-value/

Would appreciate any feedback on this.