cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to create an incident when a method throws an exact error?

bill_scheuernst
Organizer

I would like to create an incident based on this error message...

[System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

And when that happens, alert our operations team and automatically recycle an application pool. Can something like this occur?

Thanks.

Bill

8 REPLIES 8

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

If you can see this message in a PurePath then you can create a measure that counts the number of times this exception occurs and use this measure when building the incident. You would use the below measure for this:

Just fill in the configuration appropriately based on the exception you want to track.

James

bill_scheuernst
Organizer

I don't see that option when I drill down in a Pure Path.

This is added in the system profile -> measures settings. You should also have the option to create a measure around this if you right click on the exception in the PurePath (though you'll likely still need to modify what is prefilled in and possibly what measure it selects by default):

Found it!

martin_chochke1
Advisor

If you see the error occurring in a purepath tree you simply right click on that line in the tree and select "create measure". You can then create alerts based off of the measure itself when you set thresholds on the measure.

bill_scheuernst
Organizer

Here's what's going on. We have a SCOM alert on an IIS application pool which we have to manually restart in order to clear the issue. IMHO, this is inefficient. Here's the alert from SCOM...

Alert: Member 360 Index was outside the bounds of the
array.

Source: xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxx.com

Path: Not Present

Last modified by: System

Last modified time: 6/7/2017 8:09:32 AM

Alert description: Event Description: Event code: 100001

Event message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

I have located the error in DT and would like to basically do the same thing as SCOM, but with one exception. I have created a PowerShell script which is executed by the Generic Execution Plugin on our collector. I would like DT to detect the error, trigger an incident with email notification, restart the app pool, and notify our operations team.

Error Detail from DT...

Error Detected: HTTP 5xx Response (internal), Unhandled Inter-Tier Exceptions Default Application

Invoke(System.Object instance, System.Object[] inputs, System.Object[]& outputs)

System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker

[System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
at System.Collections.ObjectModel.Collection`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
at System.Collections.Generic.Key

This is a good use case, however I think the array bound exception is very basic application level error which should be better fixed completely than alerting. What you say? Regards, Rajesh

lgmitraud
Inactive

Hi folks!

What if there's no exception/error message?

Is there a way to raise an incident from a method failure alone?

Regards!