cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue when remote debugging an instrumented Java process

Enrico_F
Pro

Lately some devs have complained to me that they can no longer see local variables in their remote debugging session when the target process is instrumented using a Java agent. The problem goes away when the agent is deactivated. Is this a known problem or limitation?

In the official docs for 6.5 I could not find anything about any limitations regarding the debugging of an instrumented Java process.

The issue seems to be related to the latest update 6.5.11.1012 (we updated from 6.5.9.1501).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Enrico

4 REPLIES 4

c_schwarzbauer
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

hi Enrico,

did you encounter this behavior just by updating? because I'm currently not aware of any changes that should impact this behavior.

can you give us some more information, like:

• did this happen on an instrumented class? (I strongly assume so)
  • which Java compiler target version do you use? (maybe Java 8?)
  • in the affected class/method, are there any specific Java features in use? (maybe Lambdas?)

actually the best approach would be to provide us with the original and transformed class file, if that would be ok for you.

let me know if that would be ok for you and I can give you instructions how to get those (if needed).

best,
Christian

marc_steiner
Newcomer

Hi

• did this happen on an instrumented class? (I strongly assume so)
  • -> yes
  • which Java compiler target version do you use? (maybe Java 8?)
  • -> yes, we have changed to Java 8
  • in the affected class/method, are there any specific Java features in use? (maybe Lambdas?)
  • -> yes, we use Java 8 Features / streams / lambdas
  • -> other class without Java 8 Features: no problems
  • Regards, Marc

mike_gardner
    Guide

Please check out https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/145253/instrumented-java-8-lambdas-cannot-be-deserialized.html.

Enrico_F
    Pro

FYI: This issue seems back with 6.5.32 after it has been fixed with 6.5.15 (at least in our case). I've raised a support case (SUPDT-42427).