cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Java Agent on Alpine Linux 3.3

jmonreal
Newcomer

Is there a plan to have dynatrace java agent running on Alpine Linux? I am trying to run it on Alpine Docker Containers.

21 REPLIES 21

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi Jose

I will check with the engineering team on what they think about supporting Alpine. I assume you already tried our regular Linux Java Agent? What was the outcome?

andi

rputhen
Guide

@Andreas G @martin.etmajer@compuware.com @RJ B.

Hello Andi & Martin,

We are having an hard time here finding out how Dynatrace agent can be installed on Alpine Linux Docker Containers using Java undertow webserver.

Can you please help us on this soon or point us to correct engineering team contact who implemented Dynatrace on Alpine. We are just looking for agent configured on java app running on alpine and Dynatrace Collector and Server will not be in docker.

Appreciate your quick response on this as this is a decision factor on deciding Dynatrace vs other competitor monitoring tool.

Thanks

Ram

Hi Ram

I forwarded this to the engineering team last week. I will ping them again. there is a public holiday in austria tomorrow which means they might not get back to you until thursday

Andi

rputhen
Guide

Thanks Andi, Below is the response RJ send me from Martin. Let me know if you have some more info from support.

"The AppMon agent
does not (yet) support monitoring processes which do not bind against glibc.
Alpine uses the glibc incompatible musl libc. What works, however, is to
use an Alpine-based Docker image for its reduced size and install glibc and and
a glibc-bound application framework on top. "

It would be really helpful if we can ask Engineering to come up with an enhancement to make Appmon Java agents compatible with musl libc which is used by Alpine.

Thanks

Ram

patrick_thurner
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Ram,

our musl-libc compatible java agent is on the roadmap for appmon v7 release (~ march'16). In the meanwhile i suggest to stick with martin's workaround.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

is the musl-libc compatible java agent in the AppMon V7 release ? Thank you

Gilles

rputhen
Guide
@Patrick T

Is the beta version of java agent available that supports Alpine Linux, if available please share with us as we are in the process of getting our alpine stack instrumented using Dynatrace.

nima_samsami_ex
Participant

We are also very interested in stable Beta Version of musl Agents for our dockerized microservices

patrick_thurner
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Ram,
sorry for the late reply. EAP for the upcoming version is expected to start end of februar. I already put you on our EAP usergroup, so you get notified once it will start.
Patrick

Hi Patrick, is it possible to use musl supported Agent for AppMon 6.5 or do wee Need AppMon7.0? Is the Agent meanwhile in a final Version?

olivier_merlin
Newcomer

I don't know were i could get this famous agent compatible musl libc.

This is not present in the download section of the 7 version of Dynatrace

this dockerfile implies the -unix flavor of the java 7 agent is musl compabible:

https://github.com/Dynatrace/Dynatrace-Docker/blob/master/Dynatrace-Agent/Dockerfile

olivier_merlin
Newcomer

Thanks Rick it's clear. The solution here is a container.

Useful to simplify the configuration with a Docker-compose.yml

But in the context of a Kubernetes deployment, don't you think it would be better to have a musl libray at the node otherwise we need to start the agent as a daemonset. (why not)

Do you have an example to K8S configuration ?

we install the agent directly in the base image and manage name/server through the documented environment variables

olivier_merlin
Newcomer

@Rick B.For sure putting it in the base image (inheritance) simplify everything.The problem of not altering image using composition is that it adds configuration complexity ... . Thanks for your time.

olivier_merlin
Newcomer

In fact i didn't understood well what you did. You are using a Dynatrace container that you share with the volmume-from keyword in docker-compose. Unfortunately, when i tried to mimic this method with Kubernetes using an InitContainer it failed with a core dump. Do you have more fresh ressources proving it could work on Kubernetes environement ?

rputhen
Guide

To get it working on appmon you either need to extend image by adding GNU C library or use an openjdk image instead of alpine .

I think new Dynatrace supports alpine directly without any docker image customizations but I have not tried yet .

olivier_merlin
Newcomer

No there is a dynatrace github project (mentioned by Rick) above that proves it works with openJdk on Musl lib (so Alpine). This is what i tried without succes.

it's openjdk over Alpine not "OpenJdk Or Alpine."

rputhen
Guide

Open jdk over alpine will work but we went for openjdk itself as internally we don’t support adding gnu c to alpine images .

olivier_merlin
Newcomer

yes - exactly adding gnu LibC support is complex and not clean. But if you look at this link

https://github.com/Dynatrace/Dynatrace-AppMon-Docker/tree/master/Dynatrace-Agent you see that it works at least on Docker