cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java Application not starting when the agent startup flag is enabled.

chris_solgat
Newcomer

I had DynaTrace setup to monitor a JIRA application. We were previously on JIRA 6.3.15 and DynaTrace 6.3 and didn't have any problems. We just recently upgraded JIRA to JIRA Core 7.1.4, but the system will not start due to a NoClassDefFoundError upon startup. If I remove the agent startup argument from the JVM arguments (no other changes made), the system starts just fine. Could this be from a custom sensor pack/configuration? Anyone ever heard of the agent causing the application to not startup before?

7 REPLIES 7

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Do you have any details of the error? Perhaps the name of the class that it can't find?

I only have errors from the JIRA log files, I didn't see any from the DynaTrace logs.

ERROR [c.a.p.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Unable to start the plugin container for plugin 'com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-plugin'
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/pyxis/greenhopper/jira/license/GreenHopperLicenseManager
---------
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: *** Class 'com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira.license.GreenHopperLicenseManager' was not found. Bundle com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-plugin [91] does not import package 'com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira.license', nor is the package exported by any other bundle or available from the system class loader. ***
at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleWiringImpl$BundleClassLoader.loadClass(BundleWiringImpl.java:1968)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
... 67 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira.license.GreenHopperLicenseManager not found by com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-plugin [91]
at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleWiringImpl.findClassOrResourceByDelegation(BundleWiringImpl.java:1532)
at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleWiringImpl$BundleClassLoader.loadClass(BundleWiringImpl.java:1955)
... 68 more

harald_berger
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Chris,

Without detailed exception is hard to make an educated guess.

Maybe it is related to the Apache Felix framework. If so please try following suggestions

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Best

Harry

c_schwarzbauer
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

hi Chris,

which exact version of Dynatrace are you using? we previously had some problems with 6.3 versions and new JIRA versions, which should be fixed with Dynatrace 6.3.6. those were mostly related to IllegalAccessErrors, but I would still give it a try.

so could you please try to install the 6.3.6 update first and see if the error persists?

HTH, Christian

Server version is showing as 6.3.6.1004

chris_solgat
Newcomer

@Harald Berger
The link you provided does look very similar in regards to what we're seeing. Since the forum/article didn't seem to provide a fix, but rather a couple of work-arounds, does anyone know how to actually fix it, or where that class might be coming from?
Here's some additional details about the environment: We added a couple of custom sensor packs where we included some complete packages (it's a dev environment so we weren't as concerned with performance as much as trying to gain as much visibility as possible). One of the sensor packs was the entirety of the com.atlassian.jira package. The Class not being found is com/pyxis/greenhopper/jira/license/GreenHopperLicenseManager. Now in speaking with Atlassian, that class was last used in version 6.3.x and was no longer used as of 6.4.x. We are currently experiencing this with JIRA Core 7.1.4 (so it shouldn't even be looking for anything related to GreenHopper). So could this be coming from one of the sensor packs that we created (they were created from 6.3.15, so it could help explain some of this)? We very much would NOT want to turn off UEM in order to get this working, so I'm really hoping we can find the actual problem.

Thanks for all of the help already.

harald_berger
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Chris,

As there is already a support case open, please continue there.
Thanks

Harry