cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Java for Windows collectors?

rajanikanthanka
Inactive

Hi,

Does collectors running on windows do they require Java installed? How can I find if java is installed or not?
Will plugin dashboard be able to retreive data if windows collectors do not have java on them?

Thanks,
Rajanikanth

8 REPLIES 8

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

You will need Java to run the collectors. Unless I'm misunderstanding you can check the installed programs in your control panel to see if and what version of Java is installed.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by "plugin dashboard." A collector must be installed in order to run a plugin as a monitor from a collector, but a monitor can be run against any host - they don't need a collector for that if that is what you are asking.

James

Thank you James. But in my case the Data power plugin is running on windows collector where java not installed. Eventually data in dashboard is not displayed.

Mike_L
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi,

For Windows you do not need to have Java installed. the msi used to install the components does not require java and the components come with a bundled java 1.8 64-bit.

For Linux you need java to install the server components. Once they are installed the processes will use the bundled java.

See system requirements for more info:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/vi...

As for your issues with the plugin dashboard: I see that you in another comment wrote "Data power plugin". Do you get any errors in the collector logs when it stops working? Does it start working again if you stop and restart the monitor?

Mike

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello,

As @Michael L. said that it bundles with the installer for windows component, therefor, we don't need to install as prerequisites.

You can use the java -version command on the command prompt to check the version and result could be similar as below:

• java version "1.8.0_101"
  • Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
  • Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

Regards,

Babar

rajanikanthanka
Inactive

I got access for windows collector ,from cmd prompt I gave "java -version" but it didn't display anything does it mean java is missing in my windows collector or it is already present ?

That only means that Java is missing from the path, which is normal as it isn't installed like a normal version. The jre is within the Dynatrace installation folder.

Got it! But how can I know which JRE version is installed?

If you execute the java -version command in the jre/bin folder of your installation you get the java version.