cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Looking to create incident based on garbage collection utilization

suraj_kumar_gup
Inactive

Hi,

I am looking for the right measure to create an incident based on GC utilization and want to see an alarm when utilization reached 5GB and above.

Regards,

Suraj Gupta

8 REPLIES 8

suraj_kumar_gup
Inactive

Can you also tell me what does this GC time means which highlighted red in color.

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Suraj,

You can configure measures and incidents in the Self-Monitoring System Profile and custom System Profile. For example, you may want to monitor the amount of free heap memory or the number of garbage collections.

Java and .Net have different kind of measurements and these are agent based measures.

Regards,

Babar

suraj_kumar_gup
Inactive

Hi Babar,

Thanks for replying,

Can you please tell me which measure i need to use for Garbage utilization for java?

And also let me know what does "GC Time" means in the attached snapshot.

Regards,

Suraj Gupta

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Suraj,

There are two measurements 'Garbage Collection Old Generation' and 'Garbage Collection Young Generation' which you can configure from 'nanoseconds' to 'hour'.

CPU / GC: Shows the percentage of CPU usage for processes in storage, and the average and maximum amount of suspension time caused by garbage collection.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Suraj,

You can set the upper severe threshold to the measures JVM > Total GC Time and GC Utilization and see if it works for you.

Regards, Rajesh

suraj_kumar_gup
Inactive

Thanks Rajesh, Even i saw this measure and found very useful for my requirement.

do you know what does that bar mean for which is highlighted in attached snapshot.

"GC Time"

Glad it helped! 😄

I believe it is pointing towards the Total GC time.

Total GC Time = Suspension Time for doing GC in the Minor Collection + Major Collection

Here is great link about GC in HotSpot JVM.

Regards, Rajesh

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Suraj,

GC Time is the time which Caused GC Suspension Time.

Each running Agent collects important information about the instrumented process such as used memory, GC time, CPU usage (percentage of the CPU capacity currently used by the monitored process), thread count, and transactions that pass through this node.

• A process is considered healthy (green label) if it spends less than 15% of its execution time in Garbage Collection (GC). GC naturally doesn't apply to native, just run state.
  • The label is red if GC is above threshold or the process was terminated unexpectedly.
  • Gray label: Information about the known process is unavailable, e.g. its Agent or Collector is disconnected.

Follow the below link for insight.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Regards,

Babar