cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintaining Multiple agent versions

bpgrady
Contributor

Quick question about allowing mutliple versions of the agent to exsist on a single server.

I believe I know the answer but looking to verify it. We may be running into a sistuation where we may be required to allow multiple agent versions to be maintained on a single server. In a shared environmnet where JVM_A is updated to agent version N; and JVM_B is still required to use agent version N-1; do I need to seperate installs; or will the agent versions be managed by the version of the collector that they attach to?

I believe they will be managed by version of the collector they attach to; but need to be sure.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

saanjeith_varat
Inactive

They will be maintained by the collector they are attached to (The collector will be maintained by the server)... but you also have the ability to turn off the Bootstrap mechanism via a field in the agent ini file which will make it not update and stay at it's current version.

Word of Caution though, all agent versions are not compatible with the DT server. What versions of agent's are you planning on running and what version of DT are you running?

Cheers,

Sanj

kristof_renders
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Brian,

As of Dynatrace 6 you can control to which agent (groups) you want to apply a fixpack. When you install the fixpack, you have the choice as to which agents you want to push it to. This will allow you to have JVM_A to be on version N and JVM_B on N-1.

Make sure that you select this when installing the fixpack on the server. If not, the fixpack will go to all agents.

Alternatively you can disable the bootstrap mechanism by loading dtagentcore.dll (or .so) instead of dtagent.dll. You can always check https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/115310/que... to see how you can get the agent build when using dtagentcore.

Hope this helps.

KR,
Kristof

bpgrady
Contributor

Presently we will maintain vs 6.0 and 6.2; matching 6.0 and 6.2 dynaTrace versions. We are not planning on allowing agent version missmatches between agent versions and dynaTrace servers, but we will have seperate dynaTrace Server versions. I am hoping we won't have to have seperate installations of the agents a server.

Hi Brian,

In that case there is nothing to worry about. The agent will just have the same version as the Dynatrace server it is connecting to. The bootstrap functionality will make sure the versions are the same. This works in both directions, so if you were to connect a 6.2 bootstrap agent to a 6.0 Dynatrace server, the bootstrap agent will "downgrade" the main agent to 6.0.

KR,
Kristof

Is there an issue with having a 6.2 server but a 6.1.**** agent with bootstrapping turned off? We have an IIS 6 server that we need to maintain monitoring on but cannot spin up a secondary Dynatrace server at this time. Is tehre a recommended 6.1.**** version to be on with a 6.2 server?

Hi Jared,

I wouldn't expect there to be any issues, as we always maintain a certain level of backwards compatibility with the agents.

However, if you are using a fixpack version that was given to you by our support team (eg as a result of a support ticket) I would contact support before attempting.

If possible, I would suggest upgrading to the latest public version of 6.1.xx in any case.

KR,
Kristof

Hey Jared,

Short answer: You are supported.

Long answer: See this page regarding the compatibility of agents for DT 6.2:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Cheers,

Sanj