cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Measuring tier response time contribution for distributed transactions

Enrico_F
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

How can I create a measure for the response time contribution (in terms of execution time) for a specific tier in distributed transactions?

Take for example a simple synchronous transaction consisting of a frontend and backend tier both running in separate JVM's and hosts. I would like to measure the execution time of all the methods in the frontend tier minus the total execution time on the backend including any network (i.e. inter-tier time) between front- and backend.

The reason is that we would like to monitor SLA's in terms of response time contribution for specific frontend and/or middleware tiers and possibly trigger alerts if a threshold is exceeded.

We are currently still on 6.1 but planning to upgrade to 6.3 soon.

Thanks in advance for any input.

6 REPLIES 6

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Enrico,

Please try adding a measures of type Tier Subpaths/Time, which "represents the total execution time of subpaths started in the specified Tier". For each measure, just select the appropriate tier type from the list, such as Java, .NET, and Web Server.

HTH,

dave

Thanks. I already tried to add a measure "Time Subpath" for the tier name "Java" but that seemed to provide only the total time of the subpath (not counting inter-tier time) and not the execution time spent ONLY in the calling tier (or frontend in my example above).

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Unfortunately this is currently not possible!

Thanks Andi - that confirms what I suspected.

It seems that a new measure type for doing simple subtraction on two existing measures would be needed to make this possible - very similar to the current "Rate" measure. Can you confirm?

If so, I will gladly submit an RFE for that as it seems a pretty easy enhancement.

Yes, pretty much (as long as measure subtraction is also possible).

Thanks for pointing that one out!