cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory generation dashboards/measures are empty

jared_kemp
Organizer

In the past I was able to see the data below but at some point in time I no longer pull the below information for any servers. I get transactions, GC caused suspension time, CPU usage etc but all process overviews on the application side show no data for the below dashlets. There is also no data if I try to manually add the measures behind these to dashboards. I am using 6.3 with a mix of 6.1 and 6.3 agents, neither of which show data. These are all IIS app pools I am monitoring and their work processes.

10 REPLIES 10

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Is there anything in the agent logs indicating an inability to get certain data?

Nothing that stood out to me, though I am not sure where all I would want to look to check on this. I've looked through system information>connected systems>individual agents log files but nothing obvious seemed to jump out to me.

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

The problem most likely is a permission issue of the windows user that runs your .net process. In order for us to get this data we need to access windows performance metrics. The User that runs that process needs to be in the windows group "Performance Monitor Users". Here is another discussion that talks about this: https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/107530/windows-performance-monitor.html

Are there any services that need restarted when I do this? For one server in particular the account was already in the admins group but I added him to monitoring anyways but still no measurements pulled.

Im getting other information like cpu usage, thread count, gc suspension time etc This includes all the main host information, just not specifically the heap information for servers.

Thanks, I think this is actually user error on my behalf. I checked that the service account was in all the security groups but did not realize when we upgraded our server that the services on our collectors and servers were not set to run as the service account. I am going to get that updated and hopefully that resolves the issue.

I corrected the services on my collectors and servers to be the correct service account and added them into the performance monitor groups on each server just in case but I still pull no data. What logs would tell me if there is an access for connection issue for these types of metrics? Should I open a support ticket on this?

In the agent logs you should see an indication if there were any problems accessing the performance counters. should be log entries during the startup phase of the agent

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I would restart the processes being monitored. IIS RESET and see if that clears up the problem.

Besides IISRESET you could also try restarting a single AppPool first and see if that already solves the problem. that is a bit more lightweight then restarting the whole web server. If that doesnt help I agree with Joe though

Michel_Haenggi
Newcomer

We run into the same situation.
First we saw no counters at all. With adding the right permissions we managed
to see as much as you describe above.

To get the counters for
the memory we had to configure them first on windows server:

lodctr C:\Windows\Inf\.NETFramework\corperfmonsymbols.ini

After
restarting the services we got all the counters.