cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Method for verifying complete content of a page/xml file?

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

We're interested in checking that an entire WSDL file has not had any changes. My original thought was to use the URL monitor and in the content validation just place the entire XML file content to match however there is a limit on the size of that field. I don't see any other existing plugins that may help - has anyone tried something similar to this before?

The goal is to find when there are any unexpected changes to the file that may indicate a change in the service that would need to be validated as it is relied upon.

Thanks!

James

3 REPLIES 3

shane_korbel
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Are there any versioning information commented in the page source? You can check against that. If there is not anything existing you could have them add it in to acommidate this level of monitoring.

No versioning that I can see, I can bring that up as an option but I'm not sure how organized the team that is responsible for this service is. If we are able to get them to go with that idea we probably wouldn't have the need to "check up" on them for unexpected changes at all.

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

As a workaround for now we'll be using the response size measure that is returned as part of the URL monitor to detect any changes. It looks like we have detail to the byte level so hopefully this should identify any significant changes. I'll leave this unanswered for a bit to see if anyone has any other suggestions.