cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Microsoft SQL 2008 DB Monitoring

spiro_theologo
Newcomer

Hi,

We are running Dynatrace app monitoring version 6.3. We have a few 200 SQL DB's still in the environment.

Is there a way we can get Dynatrace to do some monitoring/reporting on the the older DB's ?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

robert_j_greig
Newcomer

What kind of monitoring are you looking to do?

SQL Server exposes a pretty comprehensive range of metrics as WMI performance counters (run the OS utility perfmon to view these). You can quite easily integrate these into Dynatrace - I have done this in the past and it was not difficult even for a relative Dynatrace novice like me.

If you are looking to do more purepath-specific monitoring - e.g. capture the query plan of long running queries - then the only thing I could think is to create an alert that, when triggered, extracted the query plan by querying the dynamic management views. I haven't ever tried that myself.

Robert

spiro_theologo
Newcomer

Thanks for the info, for now just the basics would be a good start. I will do some searching on it.

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Here is a link to the SQL Server Standalone Monitoring Plugin: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/vi...

That pulls in a coupe of metrics from SQL Server through the exposed Win Perf Counters