cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Migrated to a new server doesn't change the name.

msmith1
Helper

Hello,

We've received a new server to host DT on and I ran through the migration steps using the migration tool. After migrating I was getting errors in the client stating it could not reach <oldServerName>, the old dt server. Looking at the data source for the dashboard listed only the old server name and not the new one. To fix this I did a global find and replace on every xml file in dt to change the old name to the new name. 

For example from this 

host="oldServerName"

to this 

host="newServerName"

Every dashboard, file in conf etc got changed. I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do but it seems to have worked. I would think this would be an option available in the migration tool.

3 REPLIES 3

SantiPalacios
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Matt,

I have done those type of migrations from server01 to server02. The way you did it, is the way that I have done it before. I know that the name of the server when you try to login, is on <DT HOME>\server\conf\cmdb.config.xml  file It is unfortunate. Also for the dashboards, you need to go to<DT HOME>\server\conf\dashboards and replace it the way you have replaced. 

To the best of my knowledge, the migration tool does not provide this option, but I agree, it would be nice to have an option to be able to use this as a variable within the migration tool. Yet, I would say that dtmigration tool saves you a bunch of time of manual migration, where you would still have to change the name of the servers anyway.

You could add this as RFE on Product Feedback and Enhancement Requests.

Regards,

Santiago

msmith1
Helper

ok thanks. Glad nothing is inherently wrong. 

kamod_gautam
Participant

I changed the source server name on every dashboard using a shell script Looking at the xmls the names changed but while opening the dashboards on client it still looks for the old server as data source Is a server restart needed after the dashboards xmls are changed in the server itself?