Did you mean: 

Monitor WCF SOAP Requests

doug_stephens
Newcomer

5 REPLIES 5

doug_stephens
Newcomer

Hi,

We have installed dynaTrace version 6.1 and would like to monitor wcf SOAP requests. The goal is to break the requests down by action type: how many of each type (select, insert, update, delete) and the average processing time of each type.

I have modified the ASP.NET sensor configuration to capture the SOAPAction attribute in the Request Header and can see the value in the PurePath details.

In the soap action, we have something like the following:
- .../wcfReqeust/Fetch
- .../wcfRequest/Update
- .../wcfRequest/Insert
- .../wcfRequest/Delete

It looks like I now need to create a measure and business transaction, but I am unclear on how to correctly configure these to get the desired information.  There are a lot of different options for creating custom measures - which type of measure and business transaction need to be created to capture and be able to report this information?

Thanks,
Doug

amohammad
Organizer

Hi Stephens,

1- Create web request measure as "URI Pattern Value", then put the URI-Pattern (/wcfReqeust/).*

2- Create business transaction for wcfRequest methods then select the measure created by step 1

3- Then select measure "Last URI Pattern Value" from Splittings , to splitting BT by WCF methods.

i hope these steps help you

Regards

Abdel Mohsen

doug_stephens
Newcomer

Hi Abdel,

Thanks for the information.  I tried this and it is close, but not quite what we need.  The action that we would like to monitor is within the SOAPAction attribute of the Request Header, not part of the main URL.  Is there a way to parse the values in the SOAPAction and have it break down each of these requests?

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug

for this you need to create a split measure of type "web request header value" and add it to your business transaction; This should split nicely and give you totals for each type (Fetch, update etc...). Make sure you select the correct header name that you are now capturing.

Keep the measure filter you already have in place as it will only include the relevant web requests

I hope this helps.

Regards

Flo

amohammad
Organizer

Hi Doug,

Useful session can help you how to capture SOAPAction using web request header value , Parameter Monitoring for SOAP?

Regards

Abdel mohsen