cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Monitoring Single Page Applications using AppMon

francois_x_vall
Participant

Hi,

We have dynaTrace AppMon 6.5. For the first time, we want to monitor Single Page Applications running on a IBM HTTP Server (IHS). We currently have Java, web server and .Net dynaTrace licenses.

What kind of licenses do we need in order to monitor SPA that does ajax request to weblogic servers?

Do we need to instrument the agent on the IHS server?

Do we need to activate something?

Thanks and regards

8 REPLIES 8

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Francois,

You will have to install Web Server Agent on your IBM HTTP Server to monitor the server side performance, secondly if you are looking for the end users performance then you will need a UEM volume and also enable/active the User Experience on the System Profile/Agent Group.

Regards,

Babar

chase_hulderman
Inactive

Hi Francois,

It sounds like the entry point for the end-user is at your IHS server. If you'd like to monitor just the end-user experience (UEM), you'll need to instrument this. However, this won't allow you to see what's happening within the application. For this, you'll need to also instrument the application server.

The general process is outlined on confluence, but I can summarize it briefly here for you.

Installation:

1. Deploy a Dynatrace Server.

2. Deploy a Dynatrace Collector.

3. Install the agent on the Web tier.

a. Install the Web Server agent.

b. Install the Dynatrace submodule

4. Install the agent on the Application tier.

When you install the dynatrace server, it'll ask you for your license. It's here that you can activate the license. When the agents connect to the server via the respective collector, they'll check for license volume automatically. However, I've left out the configuration steps. You'll need to define a system profile for your application before you instrument the application.

For a more targeted answer, maybe it would be helpful if you were able to elaborate on your specific needs?

Cheers,

Chase

francois_x_vall
Participant

Hello,

Thank you both for your answers.

The SPA running on a IHS will use ajax to communicate with weblogic servers (that already have a dynaTrace agent on them) on a different URL. We need to monitor the SPA.

Here's the questions I have:

Will the html-spa pages automatically instrumented if we install a web server agent on the IHS?

If so, will there be any limitations (like gif, js or css)?

Thanks and regards,

Francois

Francois,

It sounds like you've already instrumented the application and are monitoring server-side purepaths. However, you're trying to get more user experience driven context. In this case, you don't need to do anything with the back-end specifically as it's not the "entrypoint" any longer.

Server-side purepaths will contribute to the the user-action purepaths that make up a user action that make up a visit. There are a lot of definitions I've crammed in there, but hopefully that makes sense.

You'll need to put a web tier (Apache should do) as part of your existing system profile. Then you'll want to install your webserver agent and module on IHS. Have these connect to your existing collector, and when they connect they should map to your system profile.

From here, you'll need to define your application definitions in your system profile. Then from there you'll need to set up user experience measurement (js injection) for your SPA. Your license will need to support UEM, however. Do you have UEM visits?

Cheers,

Chase

francois_x_vall
Participant

Hi Chase,

Yes we are already instrumented, but not yet for SPA. This will be our first one. It will eventually replace what we currently have. We want to test it in dev first.

We do have UEM visits. I believe however that the developper want to check both the UEM and AppMon side (if even possible).

Regards,

Francois

Francois,

This sounds like a good plan. You'll want to follow the steps for installing an Apache Web Server instrumentation (as this works for IHS) together with configuration including setting up UEM. There is a lot of information within the documentation, but if you need more targeted help please let me know.

francois_x_vall
Participant

Hi Chase,

The developpers want to know if we have limitations towards gif, js and css. Do you know of any?

Thanks and regards,

Francois

All web requests should be captured. This includes gif, js, and css assets.

Cheers,

Chase