cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Move Dynatrace (Prod instance) from Large to an Extra Large deployment

anusha_miriyam
Newcomer

Hi Team,

We have an large environment deployment in place which is monitoring a java application .Due to increase in transactions/traffic in recent times and many custom sensors in place , we are planning to move to an X-Large environment .

Also as dynatrace 6.5 is released , i have query on the same .

I was thinking about , instead of setting up an X-Large env with 6.3.x , and then migrating the prod data( Dt 6.3) .

Could we set up X- Large deployment in 6.5 and then migrate the data from Large setup which is in 6.3 .

Please let me know your suggestion/view on this.

Regards,

Anusha

9 REPLIES 9

Hi Anusha,

I've done similar moving from 6.1 to 6.3 and had no issues. It should actually be easier for you as well as you'll have less steps, you wont have to upgrade the new enviornment.

Good luck with your upgrade/migration,

Dan

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello Dan,

We are also planning to move from Large to xLarge environment and our current APM version is also 6.2.x

We need to know that if we move from Large to xLarge environment, then what will be the best method to keep the historic data of PWH.

Please suggest us some best practices to achieve this, thanks.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

All you have to do is copy your old database to your new PWH server. I suggest doing the copy right before you start moving the agents over. That ensure your gap in data is as small as possible.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your suggestion to mitigate the data loss.

As we know that for the xLarge and above environment there is a specific / recommended database table partitioning from the DynaTrace.

Is there any issue, when the existing database will be exported to the new database?

Regards,

Babar

Hmm good question. I'm not sure of the answer there. If you don't get a response from someone else in the next day or two (or sooner if you're looking to upgrade ASAP) I suggest putting in a support ticket.

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Babar,

If you have not already found this page, the partitioning details are covered here:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

I believe you can take care of the partitioning process after you complete the upgrade as a separate phase.

You can either point your new DT server to the old database instance and let the schema update itself as part of the migration, or you can export/import the database data (we don't help much yet with this process) to a new database instance.

Opening a support case is still a good idea to get the best advice on how to proceed.

HTH,

dave

Hello Dave,

Yes, I had gone through with the page before and now again read carefully, but unfortunately could not find the risk factor involved to move from Large to XLarge environment.

Yes, we can migrate the DynaTrace Server from 6.2 to 6.3 without touching the existing PWH as you said, but if I am not wrong, pointing to the old database will just update the schema without loosing any historic data but I think it will not fulfill our actual requirements.
I would like to open a support ticket for the second thoughts as you suggested and will update here.

Regards,

Babar

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello Dave,

Below is the answer from the support about my doubts of data loss.

• If you are using the PWH in standard installation, the tables are not partitioned. With the partitioning script, the two tables 'measurement_high' and 'percentiles_high' will be partitioned.
  • This means, the current tables will be transformed in partitioned tables. No data will be lost, as the old data is moved to the partitioned tables by the partitioning script.
  • You are only losing data during the execution of the partitioning script, as the DT server is not connected to the PWH at that time.
  • The data from the backup is only needed, if something went wrong during partitioning process.
  • If you setup partitioning already for your large environment, no action is requited.
  • Also, partitioning is not required from the first moment, you are running the xLarge environment. I recommend, doing all the upgrades from 6.2 to 6.5 and change sizing to xLarge and when the system is running as expected, start with the partitioning procedure as described on the partitioning page

Regards,

Babar

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Babar,

Thanks for updating the post with the details from support!

dave