cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Multiple alert for one incident

sandeep
Inactive

We had an incident for a threshold violation,on multiple nodes,which lasted for 4hrs and dynatrace sent only one alert mail for each node to the linked mail id's.

Can I some how increase the number of alert mails to be sent, Basically, we want a mail to be sent in every 15 min, so that if we have any issue that persists more than 15 min will be considered as serious and in issue, like we had, we 'll get 20 alert mail to look into.

Any suggestion ?

5 REPLIES 5

kyle_kowalski
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Unfortunately no please upvote this RFE and hopefully we can get it in soon. https://answers.dynatrace.com/content/idea/134102/rfe-option-to-send-an-alert-even-if-incident-is-on...

nishant_rama
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi Sandeep,

There are several areas here that you can tweak.

1. Is smart alerting on? If so then disable and you will see more alerts showing up.

2. You can change the sensitivity of this alert under debug mode in Dynatrace so that when I alert is triggered the next time it is violated you will keep getting an alert.

If you want to receive an alert every 15 minutes then I would change your timeframe to that period and ensure that smart alerting is turned off. That way when the alert triggers the next 15 minutes it will take the avg of the measure and if it is above the threshold you set it will send another email and so on until the avg drops below the threshold.

HTH

Nishant

sandeep
Inactive

Thanks Nishant,

as per your suggestion on alerting for every 15 min.. So for my current configuration i.e,

Evaluation Time frame: 5 min, Threshold Agg : Avg and Smart baseline is set off.

Which means, it will take the avg of the measure every 5 min and if it is above the threshold it will send another email and so on until the avg drops below the threshold.

Whereas it only sent an email in the beginning of the incident.

Thanks & Regards

Sandeep

nishant_rama
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi Sandeep,

For you to receive an email every time baseline is violated you need to change the setting to per violation please be aware though that this will cause a large amount of alert spamming and generally isnt recommended as it will get annoying very fast. TO change the setting to per violation press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to go into debug mode it should show up near the server connection icon bottom right of the screen then open system profile and open your incident and you should see sensitivity box where you can choose sensitivity of alert. HTH

Regards

Nishant

don_meuth1
Participant

Unfortunately Dynatrace is a Monitoring and Alerting System, not an Alert Management system, what you are looking for is an escalation policy, which DT does not have and is not designed to do. You need to look at Alert Management systems for this capability, or write something that can handle it, but that is no small task to create your own alerting system, with features that I am sure you'd want, for example an on call calendar, weekends, Holidays, 24 hour shift rotation, escalation is still open, not sending the same message withing a specified time, etc....