cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple sites hosted on one server (.NET application)

akshay_shinde2
Inactive

Hello,

We are having multiple sites hosted on one server. Earlier only one site was configured under dynaTrace but now we have added two more sites under AppMon.

The dilemma is, I can see app server agent as well as primary web server agent but secondary web server agent is not visible.

Does somebody come across such an issue? Kindly help.

BR,

AK

9 REPLIES 9

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello Akshay,

What is the status of license (Blank / License ok) in front of 'Web Server' agent in the 'Agents Overview' dashboard?

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

I just checked for both the configured sites it is blank.

BR,

AK

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Hi. If you want to monitor multiple sites that are hosted by your IIS you need to make sure to enable the Dynatrace Web Server Agents Modules for every IIS Web Site. Also remember that - if you enable the Dynatrace Web Server Agent Native Module that you pick the correct bitness (32 vs 64) depending on how your AppPool is configured. This will make sure that IIS loads the correct Dynatrace Web Server Module into each hosted site.

Andi

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your input.

1. First of all, I have registered both the bitness for the new modules & then added both of them to respective sites.
  2. Assigned different UDP ports to web server agent.
  3. Created different service for both web server agent module.
  4. Instrumented respective .NET processes from .NET config utility.

Any configuration step Am I missing here? Kindly suggest.

Note:- I have created two separate profiles on client for these sites.

BR,

AK

Hello Akshay,

Try the following:

• You can restart the Web Server Primary Agents from the Client's Agent Overview / Status dashboard > Agent context menu.
  • You may have to restart IIS by doing one of the following:
    • Run the command iisreset as administrator.
    • Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, right-click the server, select Stop, then select Start.

If you instrument several web server instances on the same machine, the secondary Agents of the web server instances connect to the same Primary Agent service (Windows) stemming from the same directory structure and configuration in <DT_HOME>/agent/conf/dtwsagent.ini. They share the UDP and agent/conf/dynaTraceWebServerSharedMemory.

If your web server instances run different web sites and you want to have data for each web site in a separate System Profile:

1. For every additional, differently named Web Server Primary Agent, copy the AppMon Web Server Agent installation directory <DT_HOME>/agent to <DT_HOME><InstanceName> /agent.
  2. Make sure that the read/write permissions are the same for each folder after this step.
  3. Configure a unique UDP port (very first item in the .ini) and Agent name (and possibly a port on that the Collector listens) for each Web Server Primary Agent instance in <DT_HOME>InstanceName/agent/conf/dtwsagent.ini.

Read more from the following link:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/installation/set-up-system-components/set-up-agents/web...

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

I followed exactly the same steps.

Do you think that, I should assign these new instances to different collector?

Adding here screenshot of dtwsagent.ini file.

BR,

AK

Hello Akshay,

If you already followed the same steps then you can also check with the different collector and makes sure that the ports are opened from agents to server.

Regards,

Babar

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Just an FYI.

-> You only need one Dynatrace Web Server Primary Agent (configured via dtwsagent.ini) that can operate on the default UDP port. That Primary Agent can handle multipile IIS Web Server Modules.

-> The only reason why you would want to have multiple Dynatrace Primary Web Server Agents is when you want to report the data for your different Web Sites into different System Profiles

-> Please ONLY load ONE version of the Agent (correct BITNESS) into the IIS WebSite. If you select both IIS might not be able to correctly launch the Web Site! Thats why it is important to first go to your AppPool settings to figure out whether the apppool runs on 32 or 64bit. You can find that information in the "Advanced Settings" on the apppool. There is a setting called "Enable 32bit apps". If that value is true it means it is a 32bit process otherwise 64bit.

akshay_shinde2
Inactive

Hi All,

Able to sort out the issue. Don't know how technically that worked but I followed below steps (suggested by support) to resolve this.

1. Making APP2 module as default module.

• Stop Web server agent service for both default web server agent (APP1) & APP2.
  • Go to default installation directory "D:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace Agent 6.5" & Take a backup of dtwsagent.ini.
  • Now edit dtwsagent.ini & add APP2 agent name.
  • Go to IIS manager & then to the sites.
    Select APP2 site.
  • In the "Configure Native Module", remove "dynaTrace IIS Web Server Agent 6.5 (x64) APP2" module.
    In the Native module, add dynatrace module of APP2 (which is now made as default web server agent module).
  • Again go to IIS manager & then to the sites.
    Select the APP1 site.
  • In "Configure Native Module", remove module for APP1.
  • Restart default web server agent service for APP2 only as APP2 module is now running as default module.
  • Reset the IIS.

2. Resuming configuration back i.e. making APP1 module as default module

• Stop Web server agent service for APP2 (which is now made as default configuration).
  • Go to default installation directory "D:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace Agent 6.5".
  • Restore the backup of dtwsagent.ini file.
  • Go to IIS manager & then to the sites and select site for APP2.
  • In the "Configure Native Module", remove default module added for APP2.
  • Add old module "dynaTrace IIS Web Server Agent 6.5 (x64) APP2" .
  • In the sites, now select the APP1 (Main application).
  • In the "Configure Native Module", Add default module of APP1 (dynaTrace IIS Web Server Agent 6.5 (x64))
  • Restart web server agent service for both APP1 & APP2.
  • Reset the IIS.

BR,

AK