cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to UEM and curious to know what kind of Instrumentation can be done on Java Script

amitkumar
Inactive

Hi All,

I have a production scenario where i am trying to capture the performance of certain functionality on Android app. App pages are built on Java Script , CSS etc... App makes a REST calls to the server. Based on the analysis so far it looks like its the client side code that is causing the problem.

I am using DT APPMON 6.5 and i have configured UEM and instrumented the APK file successfully. After deploying the instrumented APK file i noticed some JavaScripts on the PurePath but it was not that helpful. Following is the screen shot :-

I was wondering what kind of information UEM can provide for Java Script ie does it shows the methods level response time of java script or has the ability to point to a specific area of the JavaScript which is causing the performance hit ?

I noticed the JavaScripts on PurePath for sometime and then it stopped displaying at the purepath dashlet. Any assistance to get this right would be of great help.

8 REPLIES 8

Hello Amit,

1. To capture the client side, you need to have a look into UEM instrumentation. I am assuming app you are willing to instrumenta is hybrid app with JS frameworks. Hence also look into Hybrid app instrumentation. Also If you think Third party CDNs are getting slow then have a look at Third Part Content Analysis. You might be interested in Dynatrace AJAX Edition specifically for Client Side analysis.

2. In the snapshot posted, I cannnot see any high response time causing purepaths. However, whenever you encounter slowness, it is best to drill through the OOTB dashboard. It will point out the exact server side component which is causing slowness.

3. If you cannot see the static resources in PurePath make sure, you admin has not excluded from the PurePath capturing.

Tldr: Ensure performance at server side before beginning to look into client side.

Regards, Rajesh.

amitkumar
Inactive

@Rajesh S.

Thanks for the suggestion. As mentioned on my post, i was able to instrument the APK file and the reason i am seeing the transaction flow.

User Pure Path action shows like this :-

but not JavaScript trace on PurePath or anything related to it

First, I would advise you to check whether you are getting server side pure path in PurePath dashlet for the instrumented app. If yes, then there is what is called 'stitching' or correlation issue.

(Unfortunately I am too facing similar issue for an SPA hybrid app.)

You should raise a support case with all necessary logcat and session.

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello Amit,

Your screenshot transaction flow is not showing a complete flow except an isolated mobile application with only the client side actions without stitching to the application, therefore, there should not be any PurePaths.

I am assuming that you have an hybrid application (correct me, if this is not the fact). I made a small document for all our application teams who used to instrument their mobile applications before any new release for the customers.

You can also follow the 3 simple steps to instrument the hybrid application from the attached file.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

I was referring the document attached for auto-instrumentation. It seems some steps are outdated for the ADK 6.5. viz. cpwrUEM_* properties are now replaced with DTX* properties.

Pl. find suggested changes. May be helpful for someone. simple3stepdroidappinstr.docx

Regards, Rajesh.

Hello @Rajesh S.

Basically I used 6.3.22 ADK in our environment, therefore, you found different steps.

There is an issue with the ADK 6.5.11 which is gonna be fix in the 6.5.16 version.

Regards,

Babar

I am using 6.5.13.1014. Do I have a bad luck? :S

Also, what is the issue that will impact functionality?

Hello @Rajesh S.

The issue was reported by us that the beacon are not processing which has been fixed in the 6.5.16 version as per release notes and also many others for the mobile

Check the following release notes:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/PROD/Dynatrace+AppMon+6.5.16+Release+Notes

Regards,

Babar