cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Not able to increase the heap size of my Memory Analysis Server

jkinny
Guide

This is probably a dumb mistake on my part, I'm hoping someone can see what I'm not seeing.

I am attempting to increase the heap size available to my analysis server from the default 742mb to 8gb. I went into the /../dynatrace/dtanalysis.ini file and increased -xmx and -xms to 8G.

Next I issued the command:

/../dynatrace/init.d/dynaTraceAnalysis stop

/../dynatrace/init.d/dynaTraceAnalysis start

Next I went into my dynatrace server settings > Services > DT Memory Analysis Server > Click the Test connection button.

Test connection passes but still shows the default 742mb. Anyone know what I'm doing incorrectly?

6 REPLIES 6

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Jeff,

Are you sure the server settings are pointing to the same Analysis Server that you are modifying? I am thinking maybe the Analysis Server is remote and the server settings are pointing to localhost...

Did you check the analysisserver.0.0.log file for a line like this?:

Process: 8192MB heap

HTH,

dave

This tipped me off to the correct answer, I had recently migrated analysis servers to a new version of RHEL, and DT was still pointing at the old host even though the hostname had been changed. I had made a mistake and left the old instance of Analysis server running.

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Glad you figured it out! Sometimes we just overlook the obvious/simple explanation... 🙂

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Jeff,

I guess first stop the service then open the .ini file in the note pad or any other application with the administrator mode and change the desired size and then restart the service.

I believe that the increased RAM will be available at the host.

If above is correct then might be dynatrace server needs to be restarted.

Regards,

Babar

This answer is probably the solution here. The .ini file should only be edited while the process is down, otherwise the settings will be overwritten on shutdown.

luiz_goncalves
Inactive

Hi Jeff,

The flag Xmx specifies the maximum memory allocation pool for a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), while Xms specifies the initial memory allocation pool.

So try setting a lower value for XMS

First stop analysis server, then edit the .ini file

For example:

-Xmx8000M

-Xms512M

Then start the analysis server, and test the connection on dynatrace server.

Hope it helps

Regards,

Luiz