OOM can trigger thread dump?

obusetty
Newcomer

5 REPLIES 5

arihant_polavar
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello Om,

While the out of the box incident does not trigger a thread dump (only a memory dump), you can edit the incident and add an 'Action' to trigger a thread dump too. Attached a screenshot of what i'm referring to:-

Let me know if that works.

Thanks,

Ari

obusetty
Newcomer

Hello Ari,

Thank you for response. I have added this action to generate thread dump when Applicaton Process Out of Memory in incidents but my questions when Application Process Out of Memory occurs the server will allow to collect Thread Dump from DT? Because at the time of Application Process Out of Memory occurs java will be stopped right.

Om

It should still be able to take a Thread Dump (same way it does for a Memory Dump). Just because an OOM has occured doesn't always mean the JVM itself stops too.

obusetty
Newcomer

Thank you for response and final question

actally, we want to stop weblogic dumps creations and make sure everything can be collected from DT which is thread dump, Memory Dump at the time of OOM. So it will work both the dumps creation when WebLogic Dump is stopped?

Om

I don't believe taking a WebLogic dump on the console will have an affect on the AppMon thread dump. I've taken dumps on AppMon before while the WebLogic dumps were being taken and had no issues