cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWH setting of max_connections

ksk_natsume
Inactive

I want to know about PWH setting of max_connections.

I got the answer "The default maximum number of connections between the Dynatrace Server and Performance Warehouse database is 100." from support.

but if I have huge environment, should I setting the number?

Is not it common that the number of simultaneous connections exceeds 100?

We are looking for topic to consider when introducing dynatrace on a large system of production environment.

Best Regards

Ryotaro

9 REPLIES 9

peter_karlhuber
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Ryotarosan,

you'll have to increase the value if you think that you'll have a lot of clients (say, more than 30) charting (or refreshing charts) at the same time. Our connection pools by default reserve 50 connections (each, backend and fronted server), you can modify this number by setting the debug flag

com.dynatrace.diagnostics.connectionpooling.maxconnections

to a number of your choice (the default is 50, per server, so you have to provide double this number from the db side).

Best regards,
Peter

ksk_natsume
Inactive

Hi, Peter

Thank you for your answer!

However, I want to know more detail.

You are raising cases where there are many clients as an example, but our environment is three clients.
However, If I open many chart dashlets, does the number of simultaneous connections increase?

■ Please tell me the conditions that will increase the number of concurrent database connections on one client.

■ Is there an upper limit on the number of DB simultaneous connections per client?

■ Please tell me about the behavior when I exceed the number of DB simultaneous connections.

Best Regards

Ryotaro

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello @Peter K.

Can you please clear a bit concept about that the default is 50, per server, so you have to provide "double this number from the db side"?

Is there any other setting required except the debug flag?

Can we know that how many connections currently using?

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

"per server" means 50 for the backend server and 50 for the frontendserver.

This is the only debug flag. When you set it, disconnect/connect the pwh to activate it.

The most reliable way to check how many connections are currently open is from the database side. We also offer jmx metrics for the connection pool (basically just forwarding the pool's built in metrics). Check with jconsole (you need to make sure that the JMX service is enabled on the backend server). Best regards,

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for this information.

JMX services for the 'Monitoring' and 'Management' are enabled.

Where to find the 'Connection Pool' metric?

Regards,

Babar

You could try a tool like jconsole or visualvm, or create a jmx measure with the self-monitoring agent

Hello Peter,

I could not install the tools because of security policies.

There is no JMX related measurements in the 'dynaTrace Self-Monitoring' system profile.

Regards,

Babar

There should be in debugging mode, but I haven't checked...

Hello Peter,

I tried with the debug mode but no success.

Regards,

Babar