cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Perceived Render Time for specific page

andrew_buckley
Newcomer

Hi all,

I've been trying to get a particular dashboard to work which displays the server response time and the perceived render time for steps over an online sales funnel.

The issue is I cannot seem to create a chart based on the perceived render time for the 'landing' page only. To be clear, I'd like to see a dual chart with: server response time and perceived load time for 1 page only. Though, I'd repeat this type of chart for each step in the sales funnel.

This can be set-up for the response time, by adding a web request count measure against the specific uri and adding it to a business transaction. e.g. measure for 'new user' = count web request on uri '/new_user.jsp'. The splittings for this work as expected.

However, when trying to do it against UEM/User Actions. e.g. measure for 'new user' = count user action on actions ending on uri '/new_user.jsp'. The spittings pick up lots of different items.

I've tried, DOM, perceived load, user action count etc. start and end on page, but each of these business transactions are picking up sub-requests in the splittings and adding overall noise where I can't pinpoint the one page.

It's not until drilling down to the user action purepath on the BT, that the listing looks correct, e.g. they all say: Loading of '/new_user.jsp'

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 REPLIES 2

nva_dt
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Andrew,

I would suggest the following Business transaction:

  • Type of BT: User Action
  • Filter: No filter or eventually on web request to limit the number of results
  • Results: Server contribution and Perceived Render Time
  • Split: Page Actions Name with a regex on the name: Loading of Page (.*)

This configuration will return the server contribution and the perceived render time per loaded page. Then, you can chart the resulting measures on a dual axis chart (one for each loaded page). I would recommend to use the single chart as you can use the splitting options and automatically create a chart per loaded page.

To explain the behavior you noticed, I would need to know which type of Business Transaction you created and what the splitting configuration was. I think that in the first case, you filtered on Web Request, which is equivalent to PurePaths (if you start PurePaths on Web Request). So you have only the corresponding calls. In the second case, you probably filtered on User Action for a PurePath Business Transactions, which would return all the PurePaths associated to a specific User Action (the noise you mentioned).

Please let me know if I answered your question.

Nic

andrew_buckley
Newcomer

Thanks for your reply Nicolas.

The main item that was the issue was the splitting. Basically, IMO I now use this convention for a 'must-have' in these BTs, or at least a filter based upon them as explained below:

  • Request: Complete URI path
  • User Action: URL of user action
  • Visit: Landing Page of Visits

This can be augmented with other splitting types (filters) against the base measure, i.e. getting the actual page-name, using regex, i.e. for a user action URL, you can create a transform filter for that particular measure (/folder/"pagename".jsp) by editing the original AND saving a custom version.

This helped a lot with understanding where the measure came from and stopped the blank or abstract splittings - as some splittings really don't work with certain BTs, though it's not immediately obvious. You pretty much picked my test attempts as using different measure types and different splitting to find the sweet spot. A bit of a learning curve for sure.

Trying to measure the perceived (and other loading times). I was able to achieve this by using:

  • User Action, as you suggested, being the BT type.
  • I paired it with a web request measure (I didn't actually see a real difference for this being captured by a specific U.A. measure versus the request measure), and definitely needed to narrow it to a particular part of a funnel.
  • Results: I added in a few extra one's from my 'template' UA BT, but yes the perceived time was a must here (and worked).
  • Splitting: Landing Page of Visits, sometimes with a regex to condense the end-result splitting