cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance overhead of enabling bind value capturing and increase the SQL capture length

jcamps
Advisor

Hi all,

my customer is asking what's the overhead (in a %) of enabling bind value capturing and increase the SQL capture length in one application in a Production environment.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

pahofmann
Champion

I don't think you can make a general assumption on that. It depends on the number and length of the SQL statements you have.

String handling is one of the more time consuming things while monitoring so it could cause some overhead if you have a lot of very long statements, but it's hard to quantify that.

Joseph_Hoffman
Champion

Josep, There is no hard value that can be identified to this type of change. The overhead increase depends on a variety of factors, such as:

1) What value of SQL String capture is defined

2) How long are the SQL strings that are captured.

3) How often the SQL strings are executed

4) What is the response time of the Purepath. A fixed increase in overhead still creates a percentage that is variable based on the total PP execution time.

Best way to measure is simply test it with/without these changes.

I would guess you'll see a value somewhere between 0%-30%. Sorry I know that is not very helpful.

joe hoffman

In addition to all the true things already said, note that the overhead for string operations is mainly memory related, so if you measure something, make sure to also measure memory consumption / GC metrics.

jcamps
Advisor

Hi all,

thanks for all your details!

Regards, Josep Maria