cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Pin agents to run on a specific core/cores

My customer wants to know if they can have the agent (.NET/Java) run on a specific core/cores. I have not found any configurations that would allow me to do this. Has anyone come across this issue?

Thanks, Tony

5 REPLIES 5

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Tony,

The .NET/Java agent is not a separate process and therefore there's nothing to 'pin' to a core. If you want to pin something, you'll need to pin the JVM itself (or CLR), but I think a bigger question is what are they trying to accomplish? My concern is that there's a misunderstanding of how the agent works and that might be more beneficial to explain that before discussing pinning.

Question came from someone not as technical. I explained it the same way when it came to the .NET process as well. Although I was not as sure about a java agent or others.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

The WebServer agent does have a separate local process on the same machine. That is the only agent where this question even makes sense. However I think the same question gets raised, even for the WebServer agent: What problem are they trying to solve by pinning.

HTH

They are having issues with with CPU utilization and wanted to isolate it to specific cores.

rob_vollum
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

If they want to go down this path, there is nothing specific to our product/processes to consider here. They would need to look up the approach to set processor affinity as they would for any process. Note that they are making some dangerous assumptions about the internal workings of code that they may not well understand.