cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plugin Development - Final Steps

brodgers
Participant

Hi,

I'm pushing toward finishing my first, simple, example plugin development. I've loaded an existing fairly simple plugin for reference (imported into Eclipse), plus started a brand new one. I've got my new code in my new plugin's class file and have no problems (libraries loaded/linked correctly in Eclipse). But I don't know what to do next to "build" the bundle. I'm using a very recent version of Eclipse (Mars.1 r4.5.1) and it does not seem to have any menu options referencing bundles.

What steps do I need to perform to build the bundle and get it into my DT collector? My plugin is a monitor. I'm running DT 6.2.0.1239 on Windows 7.

Thanks,

Bill

6 REPLIES 6

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Hi

You actually Build, Test and Deploy the Plugin through the Dynatrace Client under Server Settings -> Plugins. Check out my tutorial on youtube on Building Dynatrace Plugins (YouTube Video)

There is also a great doc page - Best Practices for Plugin Development - which gives Tips & Tricks on how to use Eclipse for plugin development and debugging

Andi

todd_ellis1
Inactive

Hi,

Also, here is a KB document that will walk you through each step:

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/vi...

I wrote this when I created my first plugin. It is for a JMX monitor but the steps are the same for any plugin.

Thanks,

Todd

brodgers
Participant

HI Andi & Todd,

I went through your youtube video and it's very clear. The only problem is that Eclipse has changed. It no longer seems to have the "Plugin Development --> Target Platform" in either preferences or in project properties. In fact, I can't find a reference to Plugin Development anywhere in the menus. Can you look at the latest version of Eclipse and determine which settings will support the DT integration?

Thanks,

Bill

todd_ellis1
Inactive

Hi,

Can you verify you downloaded the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers. I am using the latest version (Mars.1 Release 4.5.1). The standard Eclipse IDE for Java Developers does not have this option. The EE version can be downloaded from here:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-...

Hope this helps,

Todd

Joseph_Hoffman
Champion

Todd,

I don't want to derail your eclipse integration efforts, but be aware that many people don't bother with Eclipse for simple Dynatrace plugins. A simple text editor works great as well. Given that the compilation and building of the plugin happens from within the Dynatrace Client, I personally see limited value of using Eclipse as a text editor.

brodgers
Participant

Hi Todd, you were right. I had the plain old java Eclipse. Downloaded the EE version and it has what I was looking for. Thanks.

And Joseph, thanks for your input. I was wondering about that very point.

Now I'm well on my way, with or without Eclipse.

Thanks,

Bill