cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Purpose of disable System profile?

Can you please someone describe the purpose of System profile?

My requirement is to un-instrument all components mapped to Dynatrace.

I believe by disabling System profile , I can do this?

5 REPLIES 5

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Balijeet,

Disabling a System Profile causes it to be ignored. That means no agents will map into it, and no data will flow into it as a result.

The only way to really un-instrument a component is to undo the instrumenting technique (such as removing the "agentpath" VM argument from a Java application).

There are other ways to turn off data collection, but the actual "instrumentation" (or loading of the agent) will still be in place, the "active/inactive" logic that is always invoked will simply start returning "inactive" rather than "active" and data will no longer be captured.

Hopefully, this helps some.

dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for you reply.

I have a doubt about "Disabling a System Profile causes it to be ignored. That means no agents will map into it, and no data will flow into it as a result."

If no agent is mapped and no data will flow then Isn't this to equivalent? although not entirely.

Thanks,

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Balijeet,

No data will be collected and the license will be freed up, but all of our byte code will be left as is and the agent will try to send data in the future. The agent will continue to be loaded. To really get rid of the instrumentation, you can remove the agent.

You can turn off data capture via Agent Mapping/Capture Events, or more easily, in the User Experience settings by moving the "slider" under "Capturing" to the leftmost position.

You can disable the System Profile to prevent agent mapping and data collection.

So there are various ways to accomplish getting an agent to no longer report, but with the disabling of the profile the agent will continue to try...you could turn off the capture flag and then disable and it MAY not try any longer, but I have not tested that...

HTH,

dave

Thanks Dave.

Actually we are running performance tests and noticing slow response time and havent been able to find the root cause.

I thought to disbale Dynatrace just to rule out if it is causing any issue.

Thanks,

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I would move the UEM slider to the left to get started. That would remove all the "logic" of our instrumentation so that only the "if active" check is being done, which should help narrow down the root cause of the slow response time, especially if it is due to any of our Out of the Box sensors or any custom sensors.