cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Question about Automatic out of memory heap dumps

johnroncaglione
Organizer

Do the memory heap dumps that get generated automatically when the JVM triggers an out of memory alert start a second heap capture specifically for Dynatrace?  Do they capture the information from the heap dump that Websphere generates?

5 REPLIES 5

allan_schiebol1
Inactive

I'm pretty sure Dynatrace initiates it's own independent capture based on what it's seeing. 

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Yes, it is Dynatrace specific.  You could turn it off it it duplicates what you get from Websphere, but there is no capability to import a Websphere dump into Dynatrace.

In that case I would assume it is recommended to turn these off in production and only manually run a heap dump as needed.  Correct?

If you can make do with just the WebSphere dump, it would make sense to turn off the Dynatrace automatic memory dump (under Agent Mapping/Advanced) and just take manual memory dumps when needed, or turn it back on when needed for a specific ongoing issue.

kenneth_lynch
Inactive

hey, can anyone tell me if it is possible for the dynatrace dump to get cutoff before completing. I am think that websphere automatically restarts the jvm after OOM dump. The reason I ask is that the contents of the dynatrace dump do not match what is seen in the websphere dump. Also, the dynatrace dump is smaller than the heap.