cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for AppMon Online Performance Clinic on May 12: Synthetic and Real User Monitoring With Dynatrace

antoon_rodoe
Inactive

Today is a webinar about Synthetic and Real User Monitoring. As it is an Application Monitoring webinar, I expect it is about using Synthetic Monitoring and seeing it in UEM and Appmon. We are using Dynatrace Enterprise Synthetic (Former Vantage TestPartner) and are starting with Appmon and UEM. So we are interested how these Dynatrace products work together.

Question 1: In our implementation we do see our script runs as User Actions, but it is shown as Real User traffic. So we are interested in trouble shooting. Where do we have to look if the User Actions aren’t shown as Synthetic.

Question
2: Also we are interested about Visit licenses. According to the documentation,
synthetic Visits are not counted for the UEM License Visits. Our scripts run
quite often and are causing quit a lot of visits. What identifies a Visit as a
Visit from a Synthetic User?

#forqandawebinar

Thanks

Antoon Rodoe

7 REPLIES 7

alexander_zagor
Advisor

Great topic Antoon!

I would also want to know about the key difference between Keynote and Dynatrace Synthetic Monitoring.

Having two relatively the same solutions offered by a single vendor leads to customers split-brain.

🙂

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi Guys. Thanks for the questions. I will make sure to cover them in my regular presentation. If I dont cover them in the detail you expect make sure to just remind me in the open Q&A section of the webinar

cu later

antoon_rodoe
Inactive

Hello Andreas G,

thank
you for your excellent presentation on Thursday. It helped us in understanding how synthetic users are
seen in Appmon and UEM. Your answered almost all of my questions. The only
question I didn’t ask during the session was my first question in this post
above. I didn’t ask this question again in the session because the scope of the
session was more general.

Therefore
I ask you if you can help me with my first question:

In
our implementation we do see our script runs as User Actions, but it is shown
as Real User traffic. So we are interested in trouble shooting. Where do we
have to look if the User Actions aren’t shown as Synthetic.

Thanks!

Antoon
Rodoe

Hi Anton. Should have put my comment under your question. Currently we auto-detect it by looking at the User-Agent HTTP Header. If the User-Agent contains "GomezAgent" we detect the visit as Synthetic.

alexander_zagor
Advisor

As far as I remember, Andy mentioned that synthetic visits are recognized by its specific User Agent. That's how they are prevented from being real user visits I guess...

Correct. We look at the User Agent string and with that identify whether this is a synthetic request or not. The UEM Visit will then show up with the "Client Type" "Synthetic Agent". Other client types we have are "Mobile App", "Desktop Browser", "Mobile Browser"

Andi

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

FYI - recording is available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivkyF84yMc4&index=41&list=PLqt2rd0eew1bmDn54E2_M2uvbhm_WxY_6