cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions for Memory Sizing

dt_its3-1
Inactive

Hi,This is Ryotaro

Our customer environment is using DynaTrace 6.3.

In the Documentation of DynaTrace 6.3, I have 3 question for the sizing information.

>1 dynaTrace Collector for Monitoring Plugins (1 GB
heap)

Q1. what is the "dynaTrace Collector for Monitoring Plugins"?

When I see the "Settings > dynaTrace Server > Settings > General", it is written "heapsize".

I think this "heapsize" for self monitoring though.

Q2. what is for the "heapsize"?

Q3.Is it same as "dynaTrace Collector for Monitoring Plugins (1 GB heap)"? or not?

BestRegards

Ryotaro

2 REPLIES 2

Enrico_F
Pro

Q1: If you consider using any Monitors (Edit System Profile -> Monitors) then it is highly recommended to assign them to a dedicated "Monitoring" Collector (e.g. one that doesn't talk to agents).

Quote from the documentation:

"Monitoring can cause significant load on a Collector. It is recommended
that you use a separate Collector for monitoring of multiple hosts."

Q2: The Heap Memory value you see under "Settings > dynaTrace Server > Settings > General" is the maximum memory available to the Dynatrace backend server process. It is unrelated to self-monitoring. Normally it will be set automatically through the default deployment size option.

Q3: No, it's not the same. The Monitoring Collector heap size must be set independently of the server sizing. For the Monitoring Collector the heap size depends on the type and number of monitors which are running on that collector but I think it's difficult to predict precisely. Therefore, I would recommend to use default values to begin with and if you run into memory issues in that collector either increase heap size or contact support for further advice.

HTH

Enrico

Hi, Enrico

Sorry for being late to reply.

Thank you for your answer. It was helpful.

Thank you.

BestRegards

Ryotaro