cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

SAP BusinessObjects - Dynatrace agent injection location

Jon_Griffiths
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi All,

SAP BusinessObjects comprises of two main components:

1) Application Server (normally TomCat, but could be NetWeaver or WebLogic)

2) Adaptive Processing Server

Both of these are Java based. The TomCat part is easy as you can just use TomCat configuration to perform the instrumentation.

This provides you with the information of the maintenance portal, but does not provide information on the actual jobs/analysis that the BusinessObjects is used for.

This is where the Adaptive Processing Server comes in. I have tried many different ways to get the dynatrace agent injected but so far have had no luck.

SAP BusinessObjects seems to try and hide and make changes like this as difficult as possible, as they ship CA Wily Introscope - Free Edition with it.

Has anyone suceeded in doing this? Can anyone point me in the direction of where/how this can be done?

Thanks,

Jon

3 REPLIES 3

Valerio_Fiori
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi Jonathan,

I did pretty much the same steps as you, but again with no useful result (sad) I'm adding myself in the loop, if someone will find out how to do it.

Thanks,
Valerio

parora
Newcomer

Hi Jon and Valerio,

Just wanted to see if you have had any luck with Business Objects monitoring with Dynatrace since.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,

Priyanka

Jon_Griffiths
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Unfortunately not. SAP have locked down all abilities to an option based interface for the JVM, meaning that you cannot add custom JVM settings and can only add CA Introscope from an agent perspective. The SAP interface does seem to differ on different version so there is a slim chance that you may get one that does not have this so locked down.

My only thought of a way around this was to basically hijack the JVM it runs to add the parameters in. This would either require custom shortcut linking or a repackage of the SAP JVM. Neither of which is ideal or supportable (by SAP).