cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Script a new system profile

tarjei_utnes
Organizer

Is is possible to, via script create a new system profile? Say you upgrade a version and a new method is created, so you want to instrument that method in the same operation.

Then you would base the new system profile on the latest one and add configuration for the new methods to that profile.

I see the possibility of enabling / disabling profiles via rest or command line tool, but not import a new system profile.

8 REPLIES 8

adam_gardner
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi, The system profiles are simply XML so I suppose you could write a script to alter whatever you choose.

You can export existing SPs, are you aware of this?

Also, 6.3 will bring new features for creating SPs based on templates.

tarjei_utnes
Organizer

I know you are able to do much of it via the Dynatrace client (export import etc) but when i tried to just make a copy of a system profile (and renamed the file) i did not see it in the client.

adam_gardner
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I have just grabbed my PHP.profile.xml from C:\Program Files\Dynatrace\dynaTrace 6.2\server\conf\profiles and renamed the file to PHP-Test.profile.xml

Then I imported via client (Right click System Profiles > Import System Profile) and I have my new profile listed.

reinhard_pilz
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Hello Tarjei,

You might want to take a look at this utlity:

Dynatrace Onboarding

this is great stuff Reinhard. Thank for sharing!

tarjei_utnes
Organizer

I know that, but I am looking for a "client-less" / "head-less" solution. Where you create a new system profile in a script and copy it into the profiles folder.

What has to happen before it gets discovered by Dynatrace?

Agree with Adam and his last comment - please check the tool that Reinhard built: Dynatrace Onboarding

adam_gardner
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I copied the file into the directory and restarted my dynaTrace server service. Reinhard's utility looks much better than my "workaround" method.