cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Sensor Argument Values are being truncated

Hi All,

Background :

In our client application - We have Method which has 3 Arguments in it : (Sample one shown below)

SendLogData("Params:"+myParams ,"FirstName:"+FirstName,"EmployeeID:"+EMPID, "EmployeeSite:"+EMPSite);

We have configured Method Sensor for the above Method in Dynatrace. This method doesnt do anything. It's just kind of dummy one. It was created for just as a Place Holder so that Dynatrace can capture the values of the Parameters at run-time when we configure a sensor for it.

In Purepath-Tree whenever application calls this method, we could see all the 3 Argument Values when we drill down to the PuepathTree of the above method execution.

Purepath >> Purepath Tree >> Search for this Method - SendLogData>> Right-Click >> Details >> Argument:

Here comes the problem.....

First Parameter value that is shown in the Arguments section is truncated to 250 characters.

Is Dynatrace Method Sensor Argument or Purepath Tree Argument column has any limitation to show the first 250 characters as such ? Please help me in knowing.

Thanks

Hari Kumar Alampuru

5 REPLIES 5

Just found a pattern.... always the Arguments section is showing 319 Characters only , Truncating the First Parameter Value to 250.

Not sure why Dynatrace Truncates the First Parameter..

I think.. i got to know the reason - just verified the Sensor Configuration

System Profile >> Agent Group >> Sensor Configuration

Could see the Options --> Maximum String capture length: 250

Due to this Sensor Method - First Argument Value getting truncated once if it reaches the 250 characters range.

Thanks

Hari Kumar Alampuru

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Hari Kumar Alampuru,

You are right. The purpose to truncate all captured Strings to this maximum length (prevent overhead from excessively long Strings).

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

Have bumped the value to 350 and I'm now able to see the additional characters of the first parameter.

Can you suggest me on the Value that we can keep to prevent overhead.

Thanks

Hari Kumar Alampuru

Hello Hari Kumar Alampuru,

I strongly believe that the 250 characters were chosen by the Dynatrace due to a best practices.

If it is not really required then you don't need to extend otherwise increase gradually the string length you want.

Regards,

Babar