cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Set threshold line in a chart

ron_tada
Participant

I am trying to add a threshold line in a chart. In this case I am trying to set a threshold for Disk I/O Writing / Sec. The catch is, is that I do not want to add a threshold to the measure because this will change the threshold for all servers. And what applies to this server may not be the same for all others. All I basically need to do is draw a line on the chart at a certain level. I do not need to alert on this, I just want it for a reference point on the chart.

7 REPLIES 7

kayan_hales
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi Ron, have you tried duplicating that existing measure? The new measure created can be used just for charting, then you can set your custom threshold there. Let me know if I misunderstood your question.

ron_tada
Participant

Would creating another measure or possibly multiple copies of this measure put additional (high) load on the DT server?

No, not on the DT server. And just creating 1 copy or just a few copies of the same measure shouldn't be significantly impactful on the performance warehouse. So, there are a couple of this to consider here: how many measure you already have, how many measures are you looking to create, the sizing of your performance warehouse, the data retention setting you have configured in the server settings. This page here shows the best practices (look under Performance Warehouse sizing) https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT65/Server+and+Performance+Warehouse+Best+Practices

mearly
Newcomer

I would also welcome an enhancement to the chart dashlets for this feature. Please post it and I'll vote for it.

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Ron,

I like the idea of duplicating the measure and then setting the threshold on that measure.
Another idea would be to create a Calculation measure which is a ratio. Let's say you want the value 5 to be the threshold. Create a Calculation measure with the values 1 and 5 (Denominaor and Numerator). Then plot that fixed value measure on the same graph as a line.

If you want an incident when your value crosses your threshold, then you need to use the duplicate measure technique, but if you just want a visual line on your chart, the Calculation Measure approach is an option to consider.

Some time has passed since this answer, has a better solution been found?

if not

Could someone point me to instructions on how to create a "Calculation measure with the values 1 and 5 (Denominaor and Numerator)". thanks meg

Margaret, I think the easier way to do this is to simply create a duplicate measure, set the threshold and add that measure to your chart. Sorry, but Calculation measures can't be defined based on scalar values, they can only be based on measures.