cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting generic jvm arguments

zehaviy
Newcomer

Hello,

I just installed dynatrace agent on my Windows 8 machine.

I want it to monitor Websphere Application Server 8.5 apps'.

The manual says:

1. In Websphere Application Server Navigate to Server > Application servers > server1 > Java and Process Management > Process Definition > Java Virtual Machine.
  2. In the text field Generic JVM arguments, enter
    -agentpath:<DT_HOME>\agent\lib\dtagent.dll=name=<AgentName>,server=<dynatraceCollectorName>

how do I know what is the name=<AgentName> and the server=<dynatraceCollectorName, I just finished installing the agent but have no clue about these 2 params.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

james_kitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Do you have a server and collector(s) in place? The name will be chosen by you to match the system profile agent mappings that you have configured on the server and the server/collector name will be the name of the collector which you will point that agent at so that it can send its data back to the server.

I'd review the documentation on installation to ensure you have met the requirements prior to trying to install an agent:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

James

ramesh_nadar1
Newcomer

Hello Yuval,

For name=<AgentName> ---> you need to use valid application/JVM name. This AgentName should be same name which you need to use under agent mapping.

server=<dynatraceCollectorName> --->

Question: Have you installed dynatrace server & agent on same machine?

If Yes then use server=localhost / server=127.0.0.1 (also make sure dynatrace collector service is running & you have created system profile, agent group & agent mapping)

No then create new collector server and use its IP address.

-Ramesh N