cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Splitting Values of Arguments and Accessor

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about business transaction for the multiple splitting measures.

We have a business transaction filtering and calculating on a specific URI with a splitting measurement to get a true / false as a return value to plot the charts like below.

Later on we added another accessor in the same sensor rule to get the Page ID in the argument, in the below screenshots, we can see the structure of rules and the captured argument and return values.

Now we want the argument splitting values in the same business transaction to show the Page IDs.

I am looking forward for your field experience to fulfill this requirement.

Regards,

Babar

12 REPLIES 12

adam_gardner
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Create a return value measure for the same sensor and add it alongside your argument splitting measure. So effectively you have two splittings: argument and return

Hello Adam,

Thank you for your reply and advice.

I created a second measure "M_PageID" and added as another splitting but I got the warning message on the top of business transaction even though I continued with the message and then the business transaction was unable to select.

Can you please assist me on this?

Regards,

Babar

nj_njoku
Inactive

Hey Barbar,

You are seeing that warning because you have the Business Transaction selected in the Application Overview as a business transaction to be monitored. ALL
Business Transactions selected in Application Overview must meet the following conditions

1. Must either be Server-Side or
Page Action based

2. Must only have 1 Splitting
(besides Application)** (You have 2 splittings here besides application hence the warning)

3. Must return Failure Rate and
Response Time

You can either remove it from being monitored in the Application overview or remove one of the splittings so it can meet the conditions. If baselining the BT data is critical then you may want to remove one of the splittings so it meets the conditions. If not you can just uncheck it from the monitored business transactions in the Application overview screen. See screenshot below on how to do this.

Hope This Helps

NJ

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello NJ,

Basically we required the business transaction in the application overview, therefore, in my last comment to @Adam G. was described.

The situation is that we need the splitting values of (Return and Arguments), currently we have return values for all the business transactions as Success / Failure.

In the argument we can see the Page IDs of these business transactions, mostly transactions have more than one page, therefore, we need to know that the transactions have been accessed number of times though this Page.

Regards,

Babar,

nj_njoku
Inactive

Hey Barbar,

My answer above was for why you were seeing the warning about baseline being disabled. The answer above explains how you can resolve the baseline warning. As for your situation here, if the page IDs are in the method argument, you can create a "Methods- Argument value" measure on the method were the pageID is an argument and add that as a split for your Business Transaction. Bear in mind that if your method has multiple arguments, you need to ensure that you have the correct one selected in the arguments section (see screenshot below). If the PageId argument is the 1st argument ensure the number 1 is selected from the drop down list and so on.

Thanks

NJ

Dear NJ,

I created a below methods argument value and double check with the developers that the 1st argument has the "Page ID / Name" and this is the same method where we are already capturing a return value as true/false and the measure is already using in the business transaction to get the splitting values.

What will be the process to use one more measure in the business transaction to get the "Page ID"?

Regards,

Babar

nj_njoku
Inactive

Hey Barbar,

It seems you have both measures, the Method-Return value measure and the Method-Argument value measure as Splittings. If you have both measures as splittings in your Business transaction, you should see the split results as "(true/false);PageID". What seems to be the problem then? Is it not displaying the results in your BT as expected? Is the problem the warning about Baseline being disabled and not being able to select the BT like you stated above?

Thanks

NJ

Dear NJ,

Thank you for your assistance and time investing with me.

Exactly. We need all the manual created business transactions in the application view to analyzed the throughput, response time etc...

It appears like a trade off whether we can have a business transaction in the application view or a multiple splitting values to make it a dashboard.

If we follow the same approach then we will lose all the business transactions from the application view except the automatic one because we need the "Page ID" almost from all the business transactions.

Any other solution or workaround as per your experice?

Regards,

Babar

Hey Barbar,

If it is critical that they be in the Application Overview you must have only one splitting measure besides application. There may be a possible workaround but this will result in 2 Business Transactions rather than just one. To do this, you will need to create 2 Method return value measures, that is the one that returns true or false. For the first one you would set that the return value must be "true" and for the second measure the return value must be false. You would then create a duplicate of your Business transaction and add the measure returning true as a filter in the first BT and the measure returning false as a filter in the 2nd BT. So you would have the URI filter measure and the return value measure as filters with the Logic as AND in both BTs. Then you can split by the pageID alone. This way it will still be in the Application Overview.

So you would have 2 BTs.

The first BT

Filters:

1. URI measure

(Logical AND),

2. Method-Return Value Measure with value set as "true" (do not forget to set the upper severe threshold to 1.0 for this as well)

Splits:

1. Method-Argument Value measure returning Page ID

2. Application

The Second BT

Filters:

1. URI measure

(Logical AND),

2. Method-Return Value Measure with value set as "false" (do not forget to set the upper severe threshold to 1.0 for this as well)

Splits:

1. Method-Argument Value measure returning Page ID

2. Application

This should possibly work but you would need to look at 2 seperate BTs to see the true or the false transactions.

Hope This Helps

NJ

Dear NJ,

Looks like a great workaround !!!

Just before trying this a few following things are coming in my mind which you can address, if I am exaggerating or missing the point:

• I guess whether the throughput of the business transaction will be true or not in the case of duplication of the business transaction as fixed values (true/false).
  • The dashboard could show us a confusing figures, if we plot the two tiles for the same business transactions "OR"
  • Is there any way to aggregate both transactions (true/false) as count or sum in the same tile to get the actual throughput.

Regards,

Babar

Barbar,

1. The total throughput should be the sum of the throughput of the 2 Business transactions.

2. To aggregate them I will put the 2 Business Transactions on a chart and do a Stacked area chart so it stacks both on top of each other and you can see the total of both. When charting the BTs, select no splitting so that you can see the total count of the individual BTs and then stack them together using a stacked area chart.

Thanks

NJ

Dear NJ,

Really appreciated to come with different ideas and solutions. Now the situation came like a brain storming.

How we will create the incidents on throughput with the splitting business transactions?

Regards,

Babar