cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Thread Name Column

graham_dalessan
Contributor

Hello DT Community,

I want to get some clarification on the names used in the "Thread Name" column of the PurePath dashboard. I have a couple specific questions and then an observation/question.

1. Where do these names come from? Are they given from within the process or is DT naming them?

2. what is the difference between: "<no name-80><80>" and "<no name-80><80><80>"?

3. Because many applications use thread pooling, how can i be sure that a thread (ie <no name-80><80>) is in the same execution path? I other words, how can i know that this thread isn't just being picked back up for another task?

5 REPLIES 5

manfred_heching
Participant

hi,
Basically the thread-name comes from Thread.getName(), the additional <80> is the thread-id that is appended due to a bug that is fixed in the upcoming 7.0 release.

graham_dalessan
Contributor

So the thread name is given by the thread pool of the process, rather than from DT? I want to know if the thread name in the dashlet is unique to a thread and can be followed all the way through. @Andreas G. has spoken of this before but he did not clarify this point. Also, what is the "bug"? Is there a different between <80> and <80><80> or is the extra <80> not supposed to be there at all?

manfred_heching
Participant

Once captured by the sensor, the thread-name should stay the same throughout the analysis, its a property of the subpath that is persisted on the server. the extra <80> is a bug, <80> and <80><80> is the same thread and is not supposed to be there.

harin_jalajayes
Contributor

HI,

Is see the thread name as abcd.Alarm Pool : 0 <1456767672> <1456767672>. So, 1456767672 is id(Thread.getID()) of the thread?

manfred_heching
Participant

hi,
in fact (and somewhat in contrast what i have posted before) the shown id is the System.identityHashCode() of the thread-object for Java and the result of Thread.GetHashCode() for .NET (which seems to be the managed thread-id).