cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time breakdown for user actions.

yamini_dubey
Organizer

Hi

I was looking at the response time for certain user actions. I have two questions around it. Also attaching picture for reference.

1. As highlighted the server and the network time do not add up to the total time? In such cased where can the remaining time spent be accounted for?

2. Why do I see network contribution for few user actions and not all? @Babar Q. @Andreas G.

Not sure what am I missing?

Thanks and Regards.

7 REPLIES 7

joshua_pavlica
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi @Yamini D.! I do not see an image linked to this post.

For #1, the answer might be Client-side time, which is "the time spent on the client including user action, server time and network time. If you have not turned on bandwidth detection, the client time also contains the network time."

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

As of now I don't see a pic attached - but server time can be directly determined when there is an agent, whereas network time is more of an estimate that is based on the estimate of the user's bandwidth in combination with the request sizes. The other bit of time that comes into play is processing on the client's browser which can be quite significant and add to more than the server and network time.

Similarly both the request/response sizes need to be captured and bandwidth detection enabled in order to populate that field, it might be that for whatever reason one of these is not caught for some actions, perhaps there is a pattern as to ones that have it and ones that don't?

James

yamini_dubey
Organizer

Sorry for the confusion, forgot to attach the picture. Attaching it now @Joshua P. @James K.

Thanks and Regards.response-time.jpg

yamini_dubey
Organizer

Thanks for the answer guys @James K. @Joshua P., this makes sense. I have a question though- in case of network contribution being shown (if bandwidth detection is not switched on under system profile) is it a sum of application server network time as well as client network time or the client time network contribution is not included.

Thanks and Regards.

Network time won't consider any client side time it just tries to determine how much of that client time can be attributed to the network, and if bandwidth detection isn't turned on (or request/response sizes aren't being tracked) then network time will show up blank ("-").

yamini_dubey
Organizer

Hi

The bandwidth detection is turned on for this system profile.. So I am assuming the blank for network time is because the network contribution for that particular request can't be tracked for some reason @James K.

Thanks and Regards.

Assuming you have the requests/responses being captured in web server and servlets I'm betting that is the case. There may be a pattern to the ones that aren't being displayed, for instance I was just looking at a ticket where it seems certain technologies use non standard servlet APIs (the one I was looking at was WebLogic) that don't let the agent get the information that is necessary. Could be something like that in play here if it is showing up for others. If it's very significant you may want to check with support in case there is some configuration that can help with it but it seems you have everything set you should.

James