cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tomcat out of box measures

SSelvaraj11
Guide

we have an application deployed in Tomcat servers and were able to chart out Tomcat measures like Cache Hits count, Cache Access count, JSP Monitor ,JSP Count . Recently we migrated our application from old servers to a new set of servers . But we were not able to chart out the out of the box measure for those new servers .

Can someone let us know what kind of permission needs to be provided to get those metrics .

10 REPLIES 10

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Since those are JMX measures, my guess is you are not able to access the JMX on the new Tomcat server for some reason. To verify, you can create a measure, select a JMX measure, then browse the new tomcat JMX and see if it allows you to find "hitsCount" (for example).

bobby_crumley
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi Sruthi -

The quick checks should be to verify that the Tomcat plugin is installed, and the applications have been re-started. As for permissions, there are no particular permissions to chart or use measures. If they are available and data is being collected for them, they will show data when charted. Are you unable to see the measures when charting, or is the issue that the measures don't have any data?

SSelvaraj11
Guide

@ Dave M : Thanks for the reply . I tried to chart out Cache Hits count and select Measure splitting as Agent host . In the agent hosts lists , I can see only the old servers are available not the new ones .

SSelvaraj11
Guide

@Bobby C : So , the plugins should be installed in the DT server / tomcat server . Issue is , I cannot chart out the data for the new hosts alone .

Sruthi - Based on your reply to Dave, it sounds like indeed you cannot access the measures on the new servers. Can you verify permissions for these?

Also, yes the plugin for Tomcat measures would be placed on the AppMon Server. If the old hosts work (or did work) and you've not changed anything on the AppMon server in terms of configuration, the issue sounds like it lies with the new hosts and their reporting of metrics.

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Did you try browsing the JMX metrics on the new server as I suggested in my initial reply?

SSelvaraj11
Guide

@Bobby

I think that was my question . What permission are we talking about here ?

Yes . This metrics work for old hosts and problem is only with the new hosts

SSelvaraj11
Guide
@Dave M.

I tried to create a JMX measure. Problem is I cannot find the new host in hosts filter

If you don't see the agents in the "Select agent instances" dialog when creating a JMX measure it sounds like maybe the new agents are not mapped to the system profile you are editing.

@Dave M. We have the agents active and we are able to see the transactions in purepath . But its only the out of metrics we are not able to chart for these .

Just looking out for the permissions that needs to be set up for JVM to access the metrics