cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

UEM/Client metrics when loading a PDF document

andrew_kallus
Participant

Is there anyway to monitor the adobe plugin, on a client, when loading a PDF?

We have a web page that pops up (preview_pdf.htm), loads a JS file, and then the JS file shoots off a web request to the server to create a PDF. Then the PDF is sent back to the page and loaded with an Adobe PDF Plugin to view the PDF.

For Preview_pdf.htm, the server side purepaths average less than 5ms, and the UEM/client side metrics average about 1000ms/1s. When you look at the server side request for the PDF, originating from preview_pdf.htm (once the page is initially loaded without the PDF), it can take anywhere from 1 second to 30+ seconds. But the UEM/Client is not accounting for this time, and then it is not accounting for the load time of the PDF once the server side is complete.

My guess is DynaTrace sees the initial load of Preview_pdf.htm, says ok done, and fires off the JS (basic page with nothing on it since it's designed to display a PDF). Then when accepting the PDF file as the response, it launches the Adobe PDF plugin and finishes loading the page, which dynaTrace does not catch. Because of this behavior, the preview_pdf.htm page is not correctly calculating the client/uem side while waiting on the PDF to process and load.

If the server takes 20 seconds readying the PDF, the client may take another 5-10 seconds once it receives the PDF to load. So even if I the 1sec page load plus 20 second PDF server side, I am still missing the client load of the pdf.

Has anyone run into this issue before and is there any work around or fix or setting I am missing?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi Andrew

I have heard similar requests for things like Java Applets or Silverlight Apps. For these types of Client-Side Browser Plugins the option is to use our JavaScript ADK and capture the REAL end user response time on the browser by e.g: querying the Adobe Plugin for status and then report real load time.

Thats the only thing that comes to mind

Andi

What is the level of effort to do this? Can you provide any examples from Java applets or silverlight apps?

Thanks!

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Here is the documentation for the JavaScript ADK: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

It requires your JavaScript developers to add calls to our JavaScript ADK and capture additoinal data that will then automatically be sent to dynatrace. The "additional data" would be the PDF download/processing time which is hopefully something that you can somehow query from the Adobe Plugin through JavaScript.

Andi