cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

## UEM : How Client IP is captured?? ##

shanmugan_k1
Inactive

Hi Team,

I had recently a requirement from the customer to enable UEM and show them some productive reports.

I have enabled 1% of the capture hits(as the customer website has huge number of HITS).

Now the customer requires,

1. Dashboard on TOTAL Number of hits to the applications 
  2. Top 20 IP address list hitting the server
  3. Top 10 best pages and 10 worst pages (Based on Response time)..... since i had shown him that the user action can also be segregated based on response time

Apart  from this, my BIGGEST Challenge in this environment is that dynatrace is pulling out data of the LOAD BALANCER and the complete client IP shown is that of Load balancer's VIP's for all transactions.

P.S

In the webserver and app server logs i can find the client IP's. how can i redirect dynatrace to fetch the details from it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

K.Shanmugan

7 REPLIES 7

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Hi. Check out Geographical Location Configuration

You can configure the HTTP Header dynaTrace should look at to get the real users IP. If you have load balancers these typically add a specific HTTP Header that includes the real IP address. dynatrace can pick up that HTTP HEader instaed of the IP from the network connection

Andi

shanmugan_k1
Inactive

Hi Andreas,

Thanks.. It would be great if could tell me where in Dynatrace 6.0.0 we can instruct to pick the HTTP header instead of IP.

Could not locate in the link provided by you.. (sad)

Regards,

K.Shanmugan

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

"Settings/dynaTrace Servers/Geographical Locations" is the spot where you can modify the list of HTTP Request Headers used to determine the client IP.

shanmugan_k1
Inactive

Kudos.... (smile)

Im able to see my Client IP address after spending quality team with my network team.

Thanks for your guidance(even on silly stuff (tongue))

Can you please suggest if i can find 

1. Top 20 IP address list hitting the server    (Basically i want to group the list by CLIENT IP)
  2. Top 10 best pages and 10 worst pages (Based on Response time)

Regards,

K.Shanmugan

Can you please tell me how you got the cleint IPs. Because am getting the load balancer IPs for every purepath instaed of true client IP in dynatrace, even though our webserver is capturing true client IPs @Radu S.

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

There is no built-in Top X over time feature in dynatrace in the moment. But - you have several options to get to this list

a) You can create a Business Transaction that splits by IP and per page action name and use our Real Time Business Transactions Feed and feed it out to an external Business Intelligence Solution that can then analyze the data and spit out top and bottom X - some folks use Splunk or tools like that for this type of analysis. also check out the following blog post: http://apmblog.compuware.com/2014/07/17/extract-user-experience-complementing-splunk/

b) You can open the Visits and User Action Dashlet for a certain timeframe, e.g: last 6 hours and group by IP or sort by User Action Count, Response Time

c) you can use the Server Timeline Dashlet - which also has similar multi dimensional analysis options

Points b & c have one drawback: they operate on PurePath & User Action Data. That means that you need to make sure to not select a too large timeframe. otherwise the dynaTrace frontend server needs to read a lot of data into memory to provide that data. It is the most flexible option you have - but just be careful with it.

Hope this helps

shanmugan_k1
Inactive

Thanks Andreas for the detailed reply.

I would need more guidance here as i am a newbie.

for (a) i tried creating a business transaction, however im not getting measurements for the same.(sad)

for (b) im getting the values as per the user action (smile)

for (c) I am aware of how to use a plugin, however, im unaware of how to import a dashlet into my dynatrace. Pls help. (sad)

Regards,

K.Shanmugan